1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO size not divisible by 2352 but by 2048

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by randomact, Nov 4, 2003.

1. randomact

randomact Member

I know that to verify a proper BIN file, you need to see if the file size in bytes, when divided 2352 is an integer. I'm also pretty sure that a true iso isn't subject to this divisibilty rule. My problem is this:

I have a file that is exactly 740,294,656 bytes. When I tried to burn it with NERO, it said my 700MB CD-R was too small, it need 706MB. So I go Alcohol and, it wouldn't mount it saying that it was corrupt. At this point I decide to give up - thinking I have a busted ISO, but out of curiosity I use the division rule (2352) to no avail. I then tried dividing by 2048 and boom I got 361472, obviously more than the 333,000 or so sectors on a CD.

After this I started messing around with settings, changing the file extension to .BIN and creating cue files with differnt modes and sector sizes, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone encounter this? Is it just dumb luck that my busted ISO is divisible by 2048? Any tips?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

ISO: 2048
    BIN: 2352
    :) Perhaps your file is misnamed?

3. randomact

randomact Member

So it is different for ISO or BIN, I mis-read the FAQ's first post. I was under the impression that it's 2352 for a BIN, and if you have an ISO, since the CUE file is in effect a part of the file (and thus adding size to the file that is not a complete sector) then you really have no way to know. Thanks.

I did suspect that it was mis-named and tried renaming it, but it didn't work.

In the end it was just a mislabled file. I inspected the file in a hex editor and found out that it was an XBox file. I was looking for the PC counterpart...

Anyways thank you for your reply, it will most certainly clear up confusion at a later date!

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. BIN files are 2352.
    2. CUE files are completely independant of the BIN file.
    3. ISO is a whole different animal.