1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iso vrs. file mode

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bigfoot30, Sep 10, 2004.

1. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

What if any diference is there between burning in file mode (Nero, etc.) versus ISO mode. Is there a quality difference?

2. Capt_Nemo

Capt_Nemo Member

The quality is the same. The advantage of ISO is that you can 'mount' the ISO file to a virtual DVD-ROM drive & your computer will act just as though that ISO file is a real, plastic disc in a external drive. Use your "ImageDrive" in Nero, or if you have an older version that doesn't have ImageDrive you can download "DAEMON Tools" http://www.daemon-tools.cc/ for free) This way you can test the DVD in a working environment & see how it looks, sounds & acts without actually burning a real disc. If you have the DVD just right, open the ISO in Nero & burn it to disc.

Another plus is that you can have a one-file complete backup of your DVD. & save it for later.

With files, you can play them with WinDVD, or whatever DVD player you have, but you test the data like you would be able to if it was in a drive. (or an emulated drive by ImageDrive)

Make sense?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bill

Dell P4 2.8HT, 512MB, 120GBx2, WinXP SP1
    GeForce FX 5200 128MB, Plextor PX-712A +/-RW
    TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6, TMPGEnc Plus 2.5
    Nero 6UE, Premiere Pro 7[/small]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  3. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Thanks Capt_Nemo
    I've used both and couldn't tell any difference and ISO files were so much easier to handle. I was curious as to if I was overlooking some aspect. Thanks Again
    Hank