1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISOs lagging on a 4GB memory stick

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by jestah57, Mar 22, 2007.

1. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

Hey all, does anyone else have the problem of their ISO's lagging when playing off of a 4GB Memory Stick? The last stick used was a 2GB High Speed Memory stick and no problems whatsoever. But games lag on this new 4gb one. The MS light always flashes as if its accessing it in mid-play.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. Megaman17

Megaman17 Regular member

Maybe it's a fake memory stick.......

3. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

Would the HOng Kong Memory Sticks differ in that manner? cuz I think the guy who bought this, did say it was from HK.

I thought the High Speed thing was the difference...

what do you all think?

4. newgen06

newgen06 Guest

I can't confirm this, but I have heard that memory sticks from eb*y and other sites that offer cheap memory sticks. These usually come from Hong Kong. They tend not to perform as well as the ones purchased from stores. As they say "you pay for what you get"!!!.

5. NeoG

NeoG Member

I'm pretty sure mine is a fake 4GB card from ebay. Statistics floating around have put MemoryStick and USB Flash fakes at 95-98% if you buy from a HK seller. Apparently you can tell by going to photos > triangle > information > Magicgate. If it says 'unknown' then its pretty much fake. (Not a guaranteed method apparently, but pretty accurate).

The fake cards have a transfer speed of roughly 25Mbps write and 50mbps read, whereas the real cards would have 40/80Mbps. Although from what I hear that transfer speed should be enough as the UMD drive is not particularly speedy, it's actually the card struggling to read data causing the lag (as a result of low quality clones).

6. bahnoo

bahnoo Member

it not the matter whether u are using a fake / orginal MS 4gb.

The only problem with this 3rd party MS is that the connector area is weak. it can easily be ban if u never take care of it. Orignal MS connector area are better the casing are harder.

both work the same. i have both.

what u need to do is to format ur ms 4gb to fats 16.

Goto dos mode n then issue this command

format X: /fs:fat

Where X = drive

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  7. NeoG

NeoG Member

I get lag in WRC from the 4GB card from ebay. This doesn't exist on the genuine 2GB card I have, thus it has to stem from the card not being genuine.

8. bahnoo

bahnoo Member

why dont u try a 4gb original n see what happen.... compare apple with apple n not apple with orange....

I play WRC on both my 4gb cards doesnt seems to lags....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  9. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

not every memory stick is a fake, in fact....there is no such thing as a fake one "altered" but not "fake"...

it may be your cpu settings check if youre running 266 or 333 in recovery....i know some larger isos require 333...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  10. NeoG

NeoG Member

Considering sony doesnt have anything to do with the manufacturing of the cards (memory, PCB and casing are all 3rd party and not authorised), i think that qualifies as fake!

I'll have to try the 333mhz setting then.. thats a good idea