1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISP threatens to shutdown my internet...

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Ca$h, May 5, 2007.

1. Ca$h

Ca$h Regular member

I have been using torrents for over a year now and haven't had a problem with them...

Recently i received an email from my isp:
    Now i use uTorrent and i was wondering if i could just enable the encryption feature or do i just need to stay away from torrents period

2. pokepoke1

pokepoke1 Member

ok first STOP DOWNLOADING COPY RIGHTED THINGS
    what you can do is use peerguardian 2 to hide your pc from anti piracy companies

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  3. Jondrew

Jondrew Regular member

if i were you, i would disconnect taht computer from online and switch internet service providers to continue downloading (legal) torrents... the RIAA or MPAA may be after you, best of luck to ya. peerguardian 2 is great too, i use it and it blocks most of their ips from tracking you.

4. Ca$h

Ca$h Regular member

alright thanks

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If you were downloading something illegally, just to cover yourself you should by the actual item. Just to be I dont condone piracy, but I hate the MPAA/RIAA more than the people who download. So again if they go any farther buy the actual item to cover yourself.

6. Reknaw133

Reknaw133 Member

Hi there I too had a similer problem a while back, years back actually, if I was you I would clam down a little, switch ISP and be sure to use encrypion and Peerguardian to be safe.

Next time it might not be a letter through the door. ;)

7. pokepoke1

pokepoke1 Member

8. Ca$h

Ca$h Regular member

I haven't used torrents since the email. What exactly does peerguardian do? I tried to install it but it won't w/ vista (the computer I usually download from).

9. Reknaw133

Reknaw133 Member

Well turning on encyption in theory SHOULD give ISPs difficulty in seeing what packets are moving back and forth however I wouldn't count on this.

Now ... PeerGuardian is a program which is basically a huge database of IPs that belong to some snooping companies like the RIAA, MPAA, etc these are the people who send out emails to your ISP compaining about what you are transfairing which is then forwarded to YOU, and what PeerGuardian does is it blocks the IP from these companies. I can't be sure that using both methods will 100% you from being court in the future they are probably giving you extra attention. The only drawback I had with PeerGuardian is it blocked Steam-Games and IRC from working.

If I was in your shoes I would move ISP (if there are anymore good ISPS where you live) before you continue to explore the darker sides of the internet.

In general torrents are fairly secure, I know quite a few people in the peer 2 peer scene and rarely get any letters from thier ISPs.

One other idea springs to mind, usually when the MPAA, RIAA compaines go in search of people they tend to aim at the big trackers, you might want to consider a private tracker site you will probably be safer.

But like I said before it's better to quietly move ISP and then continue, alot of ISPS don't really care what users do on there internet (in the peer2peer zone that is) since they are making the money from there costumers and if they start branding them 'copyrite theives' they'll move and the ISP will lose out on $xx/month

BTW, PeerGuardian should support Vista soon, they are still working on it so if you would like this free protection I would check Phonix-Labs every so often for info.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  10. Ca$h

Ca$h Regular member

Thanks

The only isps in my area (last time I checked) were Comcast and Qwest... And I can't get DSL because it will interfeer with the alarm.

11. minh10

minh10 Member

Call the alarm company and get the alarm DSL filter.

12. Reknaw133

Reknaw133 Member

minh10 is right, you can get filters.

13. Ca$h

Ca$h Regular member

Alright ill try that

14. Reknaw133

Reknaw133 Member

Moving ISP is definitly a good idea.