1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISP Turned of my connection

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by troutusa, Jan 8, 2005.

1. troutusa

troutusa Member

I use Azureus, and E-donkey P2P. I've been sharing files for several months with no problems. Recently, my internet connection was lost. When I called tech support I was told my ISP received a letter accusing me of donwloading copyrighted material????? I was told that if they received any future such letters they would refuse me service for good. (I live in a rural place where my ISP is the only broadband connection available.)
    The ISP agent would tell me nothing more than that my IP had been named in a letter from an unknown source. I am to receive a copy of this letter via the USPS.
    How does anyone know what files I am sharing? Are my file sharing days over; or, are there ways to continue by protectecting myself from spying on my sharing activities?
    Is it likely that I tried to run a bit-torrent that required a password or membership, and so the originator filed the complaint? Or, was I just randomly caught sharing files with no idea of what files I was sharing?
    I'm not trying to break the law. I want to understand what it was I did wrong, and if I will be able to file share again without losing my broadband connection. Any knowledgable info would be greatly appreciated.

2. mattF099

mattF099 Member

Its most likely that you were downloading a file that was copywrite protected (im not accusing you of anything) like software a tv show a move or sadly almost everything else in the world. They most likely cought you because without your knowing your p2p app. connected to another computer that copywrite enforcers had set up to log your ip and send it to your isp for piricy. This is an invaision of privicy and unfortinately it happens by accedent sometimes. PeerGuardian is a handy tool that can be configured to almost any p2p app and acts as a firewall that blocks connections to these computers. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/p2p_software/p2p_tools/peerguardian.cfm Of course the best way to prevent this problem is to just avoid p2p (seemingly impossible) but thats your call. I hope this was of help and good luck, be sure to carefully read the statement and point out any thing that dosent add up to you to your isp.