1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with Playback on PC

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sugarara, Sep 15, 2004.

1. sugarara

sugarara Member

Greetings, I purchased a Pioneer DVR-A06U about 10 months ago and have had no issues with it until about a week ago. Out of the blue it will no longer play movies that I have backed up. It was working perfectly fine until about a week ago like I said. The same backed up movies will play on a standalone unit, but not in my PC. Bascially what it looks like is that the drive is not reading the discs. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ra

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

First thing to check is, does it read commercial (purchased) dvd's OK......

If it does this may point to bad media, bad burns etc.

Let us know and we can go on from there.

3. sugarara

sugarara Member

Thanks, it does indeed play commercial discs fine. What I have found strange is that I have watched these backups many times in the past and then out of the blue this. Thanks again!

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

What media are you using - brand - Ritek, Memorex, TDK, Verbatim etc?

Some members have come across this previously and it has been basically down to media degradation (low quality media) such as princo or even something like dirty discs.
    Another possibility would be to shrink your files a little more BEFORE burning.

Are the discs clean and free from fingerprints?

Have you watched these blanks on this burner or standalone?

Also what software are you using to burn the dvd?

5. sugarara

sugarara Member

Thank you for your reply,
    The media that I am using is Sony DVD-R 4.7GB
    In regards to fingerprints, dirt, scratches etc, they are clean. I have in the past viewed these discs on both my computer and on standalone units, but as of last week they will no longer play on my computer, but will on the standalone unit. I am using DVD Shrink, and then Nero for burning.

Thanks again for your help. On a side note and in lue of your comments about disc degredation, I have looked into the Ritek Ridata DVD-R Discs from MediaSuperstore.com. I have seen that many people on this board have had good results from these discs. What are your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Ra

6. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

My problem was with bad media (memorex) but I had the reverse problem. My backup dvd's would play perfectly in PC but mess up about half through on my home dvd player. If you played them before on your PC it does sound strange that you can't play them now. Your dvd drive will not even recognize your backup dvd's? I was told with bad media your PC would be able to play it then you stand alone player.
    Programs I use are DVDShrink,IFOEdit, and Record Now to burn the dvd.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Give the Ridata a shot, I think you will not be disappointed...............