1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues and questions... Help and advice very appreciated.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by aer0blue, May 24, 2007.

1. aer0blue

aer0blue Member

Hello. I've been using BitTornado recently, and I believe I have opened up all those ports correctly, as instructed in portforward.com with a Motorola router. However, I still have a yellow light on torrents and slow download speeds. I'm completely stumped...I've tried so many things. Any tips or possible details I might be missing?

Also, should the ports be opened to both TCP and UDP? Some say TCP only, while others say UDP... why, or why not?

Also also, why is it important to set an upload limit?

Thank you.

2. aer0blue

aer0blue Member

ALSO also also (lol, sorry), does my router firewall have to be on? My windows firewall is off and my router firewall is currently enabled.

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Use both TCP and UDP. Could be totally wrong here but I believe they kind of complement each other. UDP is faster but you may not receive the entire file. TCP guarantees that you receive all the parts. Kinda long but from the web:"TCP stands for Transmission Control Protocol. Using this method, the computer sending the data connects directly to the computer it is sending the data to, and stays connected for the duration of the transfer. With this method, the two computers can guarantee that the data has arrived safely and correctly, and then they disconnect the connection. This method of transferring data tends to be more reliable, but puts a higher load on the computer as it has to monitor the connection and the data going across it. A real life comparison to this method would be to pick up the phone and call a friend. You have a conversation and when it is over, you both hang up, releasing the connection.

UDP stands for User Datagram Protocol. Using this method, the computer sending the data packages the information into a nice little package and releases it into the network with the hopes that it will get to the right place. What this means is that UDP does not connect directly to the receiving computer like TCP does, but rather sends the data out and relies on the devices in between the sending computer and the receiving computer to get the data where it is supposed to go properly. This method of transmission does not provide any guarantee that the data you send will ever reach its destination. On the other hand, this method of transmission has a very low overhead and is therefore very popular to use for services that are not that important to work on the first try. A comparison you can use for this method is the plain old US Postal Service. You place your mail in the mailbox and hope the Postal Service will get it to the proper location. Most of the time they do, but sometimes it gets lost along the way." Limiting your upload ensures you don't saturate your connection which affects your download speed. Check your ip address at ipconfig/all (not the one Portforward shows)to ensure your router doesn't change it when you restart (you will need to set it static if it has changed) and see if your ISP is on this list: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs