1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues burning DVD-R backups

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Kirby64, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

Hey guys, I'm new here as you can see, been reading the stickies and such, and I've gotten into backing up my PS2 games.

I went out, got a Codebreaker, installed the Independence exploit on my PS2 fatty, backups work fine. I also went out and bought some Verbatims specifically for PS2 usage to try to keep the laser in as good a condition as possible.

For reference, my DVD burner is a Pioneer DVR-109

Well, the copies I made seem to boot fine, I was burning them with Alcohol 120%.

To see how good they were, I used DVDInfo Pro to test the quality of the burn.

Here is what I got:
    [​IMG]

This is a burn at 12x for "16x certified media". I've tried burning a few time, tried a different game, tried burning with ImgBurn instead of A120%, all the same result. It seems to happen at around the same spot every time, I only got the 2nd giant mass of red PIF/PI errors on the last copy I burned. Also, before I noticed that "slower isn't always better", I had a copy of the game burned at 4x, and I tested that one as well. It seems when I burn at 4x, the quality OVERALL is much worse (consistently much higher PI/PIF errors), but there aren't any huge spikes like when I burn at 12x.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Should I try using Nero to burn games + test PI/PIF errors? Should I get maybe some Yuden media instead of Verbatim? (You can see the media code in the picture, MCC03) Could it possibly be my burner going bad? I've had it for about 2 years now, but I don't burn things very often in it.

I apologize if there's something incredibly obvious I overlooked, but thanks ahead of time for any help I receive.

2. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

Ok, I downloaded Nero tried the Disc Quality feature, same results as the other. PI/PIF tester. It's the same game for reference(Ratchet & Clank 3)

Here's the quality SS:
    [​IMG]

I'm going to try burning Ratchet again at 8x using Nero.