1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with my dvd burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by hackwolf, Feb 1, 2008.

1. hackwolf

hackwolf Member

Hello there and thanks for anyone who can point me in the correct direction. Recently my dvd burner has been acting kind of kooky, or at least I think it is. After converting files from vso to dvd form, then burning the disc, everything seems fine. I put the movie into the dvd player (the player connected to my tv) and it always seems to start skipping or freezing the movie halfway through. I'm wondering if this is the dvd player or burner. I've burned on the slowest setting possible, kept the computer work free while it's burning as well. I have not changed my media for burning so Im out of answers that I can come up with. Is there a way to do a check to see if it's actually the burner? Thanks bunches!!!!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

If you have neroinfo tool,you may be able to use the disc quality scanning program. Dvdinfopro can also tell you.

First thing to do,put it in the player and take note of where the playback issues occur. Then insert it into the PC,using the dvd-rw drive that burned it, to play it. Check the suspected areas and see how it looks on the pc. It should play flawless and near original in quality..

90% of the time,it's the stand alone player's fault. You just need to watch it on the PC and some other stand alone players to verify which drive is showing that issue.

What's the brand name,model#,and current firmware version of your Dvd-rw drive?

What's the Manufacturer's ID # of your blank media? Check the older backups and newer backups since you said you use the same brand.See if that MID code changes.

This program,as well as nero infotool will tell us the answers to all those questions:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

What programs do you use for your dvd backup process?

Slews of things can cause it,just got to narrow it down. Here's some,after you ruled out multi-tasking:

1)Media quality: You may have hit into a section of the spindle you're working from that may have quality defects. Try using 1 from the bottom of your spindle.

Switching Batches: The MID code can change even when switching batches,packs,spindles. As many as 4 different manufacturers can make media for a certain brand name with the same format and speed rating. By switching packs,you may be switching manufacturers.Quality can vary between manufacturers.

2) Burn speed: Most say burning slow is better.Some burners perform better with faster burning when using quality media.

3) Fragmented HD. Keep the HD/S defragged regularly.

4) Burn engine. Some players can be picky on certain burning programs. You may want to try another program,depending on what you are currently using.

5) Sticker Labels: Major no-no and players can pick them apart with many issues.

6) Dirty laser lens: Usually on the stand alone player once you rule everything out and narrow it down to a certain player.. Simply eject the tray and spray some compressed air into the player. Hard cleaning discs,Last resort before replacement.They can help and they can ruin a drive.

7) Burning to the outer edge/burning too much data: Keep the backup target to about 4300-4360 mbs. Max on a disc is a smidgen below 4380 mbs,not the 4.7 gbs that says on the blank disc itself. Burning the edge,especially with low quality media can cause issues.

8) Software conflicts/transerring files like AVI to ISO format,ETC.Even conflicting programs like having nero and roxio on a pc.
    9) Encryption: Some of the newer encryptions are doing some screw thing during playback. Some of these drives will have problems playing the original on some of these newer sony/columbia releases.

There can be many,many more possibilities.

3. hackwolf

hackwolf Member

Thanks a bunch for all that you have written. I will definately give all your suggestions a whirl tonight and keep this post updated. Once again, thanks a lot for taking the time to help me solve this.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Max on a disc is actually closer to 4489 with -R, DVDShrink defaults to 4464 which gives a small cushion and has worked well for millions of backups.