1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

issues with shinker 3.20

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jazzablk, May 8, 2007.

1. jazzablk

jazzablk Guest

I am attemptin to back up a dvd once encoded it it states there is not enough space error message. I have tried automatic settings and cutomise shrinkage to the maximun allowment. Keeps stating the same error. Whats going on it is a rather large backup file approx 7.6MB. Is there a update or do i have to upgrade to version 7.0 shrinker if will it hold that amount of storage and is there a trial version i only have 3 more backup items to do. Thanks if anyone can help.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

The error message you are receiving is due to the fact that there is not enough space on you HDD. Remove some old files to make room for DVD Shrink to work with.

There is not an update to DVD Shrink. It is a very useful program to have and I hope that you did not pay money for it. The program is free and the only version is 3.2.0.15. If indeed it is shrink that you are referring to.

3. jazzablk

jazzablk Guest

No i never paid money ill clean up HDD although i have a 200gb hdd

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Open "My Computer" and select your drive. Make sure that your space is not used up. 200 Gigs can go really quick if you have multiple movies saved on it. If you have plenty of space then we may need to consider the fact that maybe the initial rip did not go well.

Shrink can not handle the files alone. What did you use to rip the movie?

5. jazzablk

jazzablk Guest

HDD has 186GB im dycrypting it again and i will try slysoft see if that will work. Thanks

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Keep me posted on what happens after the next rip. Good Luck!

7. jazzablk

jazzablk Guest

Hi mate tried those links but me being the computer illerate dude its sating error. I have used dycrypter and shrinker to back up tonnes of dvds longer than the one im trying now. Being a region 4 country and the dvd is a region 1 could that be the issue
    Thanks

8. jazzablk

jazzablk Guest

Here is the error message im seeing when backing up
    This discs contains some (UDF/HFS/FAT tracks cannot be backed up by nero please insert a blank disc or erase it. I just purchased a tonne of barnd new blank dvds i have no idea thx guys for any assistance regarding this matter
    Jazza

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

You need to run DVD Region Free software. There are some that are free and some that are not. Here are a couple of sites to look at.

http://www.cdr-zone.com/software/dvd_tools/dvd_region_free/dvd_region_free.html

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DVD_Region_CSS_Free.htm

You can also purchase software from http://dvdidle.com or http://slysoft.com to get rid of Region code.

I also mentioned this thread to another member that may be able to supply you with additional information. DVD Shrink is not updated any longer and needs help in breaking the codes. DVD Decrypter is not updated any longer and does not do the job that you need done. You will need to use other programs to break the codes.

DVDFab Decrypter: http://dvdidle.com/free.htm to use for your decryption software. This may be the one thing that you need to use before using Shrink. They also offer Region Free software on that site. But the other sites above I believe are free. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  10. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

This could be caused by an encryption issue, shrink isn't updated, so it's not always doing its job correctly with newer movies. Since you mention using nero, I suggest you download a free trial of AnyDVD (free for 21 days), install the app and then Nero's Recode2 application to create the back with (DVDshrink isn't needed).

This could be because nero/your burner doesn't recognize the media you're using, sometimes the burner's firmware doesn't contain the correct write strategy for the disks you're using.

The solution could be as simple as a firmware update. You can get one here if needed. http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_search.php

If the firmware update doesn't do the trick, try using a different brand of disks like verbatims or sony.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Depending on the part of Region 4, there may be a video format conflict.

If you're not in Central or South America with the NTSC format, you may need to convert from NTSC to PAL. Nero Vision from the Nero 7 suite or ConvertXtoDVD should do the conversion. There may even be some freeware that will do the job. The ConvertXtoDVD trial marks Video output and the Nero Vision trial doesn't. Personally I'd rip the files to the hard drive with a good decryption program. Most will remove the region code. AnyDVD is a driver type made for the job plus it has a ripper. Use the new AnyDVD version 6.1.4.3 You can pick up a trial from Slysoft. http://www.slysoft.com

So, first rip the files to the HD using the AnyDVD ripper. That clears up region code issues with factory DVDs.
    Second convert to PAL if necessary.

But before you get started, I'd suggest you get some more hard drive free space. You only have 14GB free. A rule of thumb is twice the size of the video. That would leave you 1.2GB shy, plus you need some free space for the system to operate. If I were you I'd try for another 3-5GB of free space.

12. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

This won't prevent you from backing-up your DVD with Anydvd or any other software app running in the backround to remove region coding, the only problem that you'll have is that the files ripped will be in the PAL format, if you then burn the files to disk and try to play that disk in you NTSC player, it won't play. As suggested the files need to be converted to the NTSC format first, then burned to disk.

Since you have NERO:
    If you try using Anydvd as suggested to rip the files to you're hard drive using Nero's Recode2 application, then use NeroVision to convert the files to NTSC and burn to disk, you'll be ok.

Maybe I'm not looking at the hard drive space issue correctly, but you state you have a 200GB hard drive and then state that the drive has 186GB free?... or used?....If you have 186GB free, the you have plenty of space available.

Also, update the drive's firmware, it looks like it may need it for the reason/s I stated above.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Maybe I interpreted that wrong, in which case that simply means disregard what I said about free space. However, if that's 186GB used, then do as indicated.

As I said, AnyDVD has a good ripper now. It will rip and remove region code and other encryption and copy protection at the same time. If your system has the resources, you can skip the rip and let AnyDVD run while you open the files in the conversion program. That will do the decryption, conversion, transcoding and burning all in one sequence, if you use Nero Vision. If you use Nero Vision, Recode 2 is an unnecessary step.

14. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Yes if you're doing a full movie backup, no if you want to reauthor the DVD.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

johnl123
    Nero Vision brings up the titles so the movie only can be selected, if desired. If in doubt of a particular title, it can be viewed similar to the Shrink viewer to check the content. With Nero Vision being able to re-author, why would you want to use Recode?

jazzablk
    All this talk of decryption and conversion gets the job done. On a more fundamental level, part of your problem may be your method of decryption. Both DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are obsolete. Poor copy protection removal will also sometimes cause space errors. The AnyDVD mentioned will do a better job of decryption. We know you have a 200GB HDD. Attach a number to either used space or free space. A number alone is open to interpretation.

If you're wanting to use freeware, the DVDFab HD Decrypter that syxguns mentioned is a good decryption program. http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm The 3.1.0.8 version or the 3.1.1.0 beta are both available. Just remember the betas aren't always stable for one reason or another.

Another thing to remember is the newer copy pretections on some of the more recent releases cause compliance errors. Not only do the files have to be decrypted, they sometimes have to be processed for compliance. An easy program to use is FixVTS. Just drag a VOB file onto the small FixVTS window and with Full DVD selected let the program process all the files. Any time I've needed compliance processing the little program has done the job. VOBblanker is similar and has more functions, it's just a bit more complicated to use (not for someone fimiliar with VOBblanker, but more steps making it more difficult for a person not familiar with the program). I'm not trying to complicate things, the movie industry did that.

Which brings up a good question. What DVD are you trying to record?

16. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Recode is just a much easier tool to use for this purpose, and I feel it does a better job (IMHO), but to each his/her own I guess. Yes it is a two step process, but I beleive it's the more effective one, let recode take care of the reauthoring then let nerovision take care of the conversion/burn process (the easiest way or the all-in-one solution isn't always the way to go). None the less, it is an alternative, and isn't that one of the reasons why we're all here, to present members with alternatives?

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

John
    User preference usually wins out and a person uses what they're most comfortable with. Having used both Recode and Nero Vision, I don't see a lot of difference with reauthoring except the interface. I'm comfortable with both. There's nothing wrong with your method, I just don't see adding the extra step and time involved. If a person wants to do it though, it doesn't hurt anything.

18. jazzablk

jazzablk Guest

I tried recoding does not seem to be the issue i have burnt region 1 dvd's before BUT im on a new comp that states ir has a burner im going to attempt to burn a region 4 that ive burnt b4 ill let you know thx for the help guys :)

19. jazzablk

jazzablk Guest

Ok tried to backup have a error message pop up backup proceeded to 40% and this is what the error is
    I/O Rrror!
    Device: [1:0:0] SONY DVD+RW DW-D56A PDS3(D:)(ATA)
    ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition
    CDB: 2A 00 00 0E OC 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation : Write (10)-Sectors:920768-920799
    Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 02 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Invalid Address For Write

Keeps giving me 2 options retry or abort
    Any Idea's guys :)
    Jazza

20. jazzablk

jazzablk Guest

Region 4 dvd backup failed to initialise brought up same error code as per above must be the burner!!!!!