1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It doesn't seem like it's worth it (Very frustrating)

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by gcd04, Feb 3, 2005.

1. gcd04

gcd04 Member

First off,I use DVD Decrypter and I burn at 1X speed.

OK,right now I'm completely frustarted.I've had my fliptop for 3 weeks,with Swap Magic.I've backed up 4 games.I've tried 3 different types of media.I originally tried Memorex 8X DVD-R,I wasn't shocked to find out that didn't work well.Then,I attempted Sony 4X.It was a little better than the Memorex 8X DVD-R,but far from great.Then I recently purchased Ritek 4X DVD-R,expecting them to be much,much better.It had the exact same result as my Sony media (Bad audio and extremely sluggish loading times)

What's next,does anyone have any suggestions at all?

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

It could be a problem with your laser. I've never had one on my old ps2, but I seem to be about the only person who hasn't. Search this forum for discussions on how to deal with an unreliable ps2 laser.

Also, you might want to try using dvd+r's. If your ps2 is ver5/6 or later, it will read +r's. While it's only my experience, I switched over from dvd-r's to dvd+r's for ps2 backups after experiencing problems similar to yours. So I can say from personal experience that my ver 5/6 greatly prefers dvd+r's. Of course, that could also be because at the same time I switched over to Taiyo Yuden brand disks, so who knows. :D

Also, if your burner is capable, try switching the booktype of the dvds you burn from +r to dvd-rom. In DVDD, click the book looking tab next to the write speed selector. I don't feel like flashing my nec3500 with hacked firmware to give it bitsetting capability, but other people on this forum seem to recommend it.

I'd suggest first trying +r's if your ps2 is ver 5/6+, since that fixed it for me, and now I'm enjoying successful burns much more frequently.