1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It is possible to fix a bricked wii this way?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by aznyeast, Jun 17, 2007.

1. aznyeast

aznyeast Member

Hi, I accidently bricked my wii and now all I see is the opera message. Here's my question, when the game flashed my firmware, it is in the chip of the DVD drive or it is on one of the mainboard? If its in the board, Im thinking about just buying another wii and just replace the DVD drive to continue playing my backup while waiting for a solution. Please help if you can

2. Scruffy29

Scruffy29 Regular member

hmm that could work try it and post it on here if it worked

3. N0_0ne

N0_0ne Regular member

thats surely an option, an expensive one I might add, i myself havent bricked my wii yet haha, but I have read a couple threads that state to "revive" your wii of being bricked you can put in a game from your region that needs an update, Id try that first personally

4. Scruffy29

Scruffy29 Regular member

thats only for partially Bricked WII's

EG: Mario Strikers Charged bricked your Wii Settings system You have a NTSC-U WII then you put in BBA Wii Degree boom its un-bricked

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

This question sounds kinda fishy to me.

Why would you buy a new Wii and take out that DVD drive to replace it with the bricked DVD drive in your other Wii?

Why not use the new Wii till a fix comes out for your bricked Wii?

I think I know where your going with this.

In anycase a few things might have happened with the brick...

Some of the firmware versions that Nintendo has released to date have been updates for the DVD drive and some for the System settings of the Wii.

If the firmware update is for the DVD drive and you happen to update with the wrong region firmware then your DVD Drive will be bricked. Meaning you wont be able to do squat with your Wii.

Some of the updates where system updates. Which if you updated with the wrong region firmware your system settings would be bricked. But lucky lucky your Wii DVD drive still works because there was no update given to the drive itself.

Nintendo could release a firmware that updates both the DVD Drive firmware and system firmware. In this case if you use the wrong region firmware then both the DVD drive and the system settings will be bricked.

Always keep your Wii up to date to protect yourself from brick issues due to other region games updating your Wii.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  6. felixen21

felixen21 Regular member

^ Where, what could he do?

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I am not gonna answer that question.

For me there is only 1 reason why someone would buy a new Wii and take out the DVD drive to replace the bricked DVD drive in his other Wii.

8. feod

feod Member

what firmware is on it, if you don know what game did you use to get bricked?

9. aznyeast

aznyeast Member

I think I know what you are trying to say. Maybe you think Im trying to scam somebody or some place. Anyway, I bought a new Wii and found out it is the new one with the 4 Legs. Now if I can just switch over the dvd drive, then I can have a working wii while waiting for someone to release a fix for the other wii. Well, if anybody happen to know the answer, please let me know

And no, I haven't open up the new wii yet so I cant do the switch. I just figured I have the new chipset by reading the serial number. I want to make sure that even IF i have the new chipset and ruin my warrenty, I can still just switch my drive over and use it to play my backup. Thanks

10. aznyeast

aznyeast Member

I used the game Pangya Golf Pal on a US system. I really didn't pay attention to the firmware update because I didn't think this game would have one. Once I noticed it is updating my firmware, I got scared and didn't want to turn it off or eject the cd. In the end, I ended up with the Opera message :(

11. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

i guess it may be that all games have some form of firmware on them only most dont notice them because their wii is upto date

i think it is a wise decision to check update availability before putting ANY new game into the drive just to be safe

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

As far as I know there has been no one that has attempted it. So I doubt you will get an answer.

In theory it should work if the brick is due to the wrong region being flashed to the DVD drive of the Wii.

If you do try it reply back and let us know if it worked. Id be interested to know if it did or not.

I totally agree with you 100% I always check to see if their is an update available for the Wii before playing a new game. It is a good practice to get into. If it was done in the above case they would not be where they are now.

13. eltato

eltato Guest

I have a NTSC wii with wiikey and did the unfortunate mario striker update, then I fix this with brain academy but now the weirdest thing is happening and it sucks! I can only play my Brain academy back up but all of my old backups either work partially or don't work at all (disc error) This did not happened to me before even when I had the PAL Mario striker update. Anyone know a solution to this or even what my problem is. Is my Wii bricked?

14. aznyeast

aznyeast Member

Well, currently I have a working non modded wii and a bricked wii. If the bricked wii is cause by the firmware in the mainboard, then I am thinking about just switching the dvd drive over and play my backup while leave the other one in the closet and wait. If the firmware flashed the Dvd-drive, then no matter what I do, I wont be able to have a working modded wii.

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Wouldn't it be the other way around?

I could be wrong but doesn't the DVD drive have its own firmware stored on it?

If so then replacing the DVD drive with 1 that has the correct firmware should work.

If it is a mainboard brick then it is possible that replacing the DVD drive will not work.

If the DVD drive does store its own firmware I wonder if it would be possible to recover a bricked DVD drive with some sort of hack.

16. aznyeast

aznyeast Member

Wouldn't it be the other way around?

I could be wrong but doesn't the DVD drive have its own chip for firmware?

If so then replacing the DVD drive with 1 that has the correct firmware should work.

If it is a mainboard brick then it is possible that replacing the DVD drive will not work.

If the DVD drive does have its own chip for the firmware I wonder if it would be possible to recover a bricked DVD drive with some sort of hack.[/quote]

Not really sure what you mean by that. Let me explain to you again my situation.

I have a modded wii that was bricked by updating to a pal firmware. Now we do not know which firmware got updated so right now we have

Case 1: A working Wii + mainboard but broken DVD-drive ** if firmware update is in the Dvd-drive

Case 2: A working DVD-Drive but broken wii mainboard ** if firmware update is in the mainboard

If it is case 1, then it is useless to replace the dvd drive from my new nintendo wii to the old one because basically all I would do is waste my time and still ended up with an unused nintendo wii

If it is case 2, then I can switch the working modded dvd-drive over to a new nintendo wii mainboard and have a working modded wii.

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

eltato, start your own thread as hijacking threads is a forum rule no no.

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I understand what you are saying.

First off what I don't particularly know is does the Wii mainboard flash memory hold all the firmware information for everything in the Wii or does each hardware have its own flash memory to store the firmware.

Example: Does the DVD Drive have its own flash memory separate from the main board flash memory.

If the DVD drive is the brick issue and has its own flash memory then switching your bricked DVD drive with the new DVD drive should work.

If the brick issue is caused by the DVD drive then you would have excluded the brick issue by replacing it with a DVD drive that has the correct region firmware on it.

If it is an issue with the mainboard then replacing the DVD drive would not fix the issue because the mainboard would still have the brick issue.

Now what I am saying is how would case 1 be a waste of your time?

If the DVD drive is bricked then replacing the DVD drive with a DVD drive that has the correct firmware on it should fix the problem.

If it is case 2 replacing the DVD drive with the new 1 will not work because your mainboard would still be bricked.

19. aznyeast

aznyeast Member

From what I understand, inside the nintendo Wii, they have 2 mainboards, one is behind the DVD-drive and the other one is behind that silver plate. Maybe Im a little confuse but where is the firmware reside? It is in the DVD-drive board or the mainboard behind the silver plate? Maybe im understanding this all wrong but if the firmware reside in the mainboard under the silver plate, then to make the wii work again, all I have to do is switch the board????

20. aznyeast

aznyeast Member