1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itunes cannot locate files

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by cescbomb, Oct 3, 2010.

1. cescbomb

cescbomb Member

Hi all,

I moved some files around on my computer and renamed some folders recently. When I go to play a song in itunes i get the message 'The song "xyz" could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it" Most if not all my music is in the itunes folder and I can easliy locate it.

The problem is that everytime I go to play a song I have to show itunes where it is located even though its still in the itunes folder which is getting very frustrating.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. EbolaZ

EbolaZ Member

Along the same lines, when I try to play an iTune tune on my PC, iTunes gives me the same message even though I never changed anything on my PC. Why does this happen to some songs but not to others?

Also, while iTunes on my PC says it cannot locate a particular song, the song is still in my iPod Classic. Is there a way to sync my PC and iPod so both have the same songs? What I don't want to happen is, during syncing, my PC tells my iPod to delete a song my PC doesn't have but my iPod does.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  3. Kell_B

Kell_B Member

1. In iTunes, go to Edit -> Preferences... -> Advanced tab- > deactivate "Keep iTunes Media folder organized"
    2. Go to your iTunes Media folder and rename the ITL file slightly
    3. Start iTunes - your library is now empty
    4. Re-import the files to iTunes

Check if your previously (!) missing songs are now playable.

4. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

you can delete everthing in itunes choose keep music though and dump the files where ever stored on pc back onto open itunes once you deleted it and it will re-add the music REMEMBER KEEP FILES NO FILES NO MUSIC

5. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

if you accidently deleted files goto recycle bin and restore them