1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes for iPod nano: can't use without broadband?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Schemer, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Schemer

Schemer Member

New iPod nano 3rd generation. I'm running Windows XP and have dial-up. Can't download iTunes--goes straight to welcome/finish screen without giving me the program. Is dial-up the issue?

Also, I synced some music with th iPod, just using Windows Media Player. The iPod says it has 'No Music', but when attached to another compute the contents it claims not to contain can be played with Windows Media Player. What the heck is going on?

Thank you so much for any help!
    Schemer

2. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

You can only use itunes to sync music to your ipod,as for the dial up i dont know.Look it up on apple

3. Mez

Mez Active member

You do not HAVE to use iTunes to sync but the sync must be able to comply with iPod sync rules. MP does not comply. It put the music on your ipod but did not update the library data and may not have put the tunes in the right spot. I have a Nano and switch software early because I could not easily swap tunes on and off the nano with itunes. I swap out music on my 4G weekly so I don't "wear any on the tunes out".

See my comment

You might have problems with downloading itunes with a modem. No matter what you software tells you you are really only downloading at about 3KB at best using a modem. The download window will tell you the actual rate if you have a PC. Turbo charged connections don't help if the file is already compressed, which all tunes are. You might need to explore other sources of tunes which don't care how slow you are. Unfortunatly, some of these may not be legal. I would do careful research before I did anything.

I would also try ripping your own CDs. That and audio capture of records and tapes make up my library. The RIAA wants to make copying your own music on to your ipod illegal but it is perfectly legal now. Swapping ripped tunes with your friends is not leagal. A new artical on that subject is in the resent news forumn. You may find out some valuable tips dropped in these roasting sessions. A large portion of our members hate the RIAA. Many vent their anger in these sessions. Some let slip information in these venting situation that you will not find anywhere else in these forums.

Good luck to you and enjoy your new toy!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008