1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ive searched and searched and tried and tried :(

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by scott565, Jan 25, 2005.

1. scott565

scott565 Member

well after working on this gosh darn movie and reading for hours on end it STILL wont work! im talking about LLB ( little black book )

right now I have the lastest version of anydvd ( 4.5.6.2 )
    dvdd I have ( 3.5.2.0 )

I have anydvd running in the background. it started to read VTS_03_3.VBS and gets stuck at 25% current with a 16% total and just stays there while the retries tally up. I have tried DVD shrink ( 3.2.0.15 ) and that gets stuck at 22%

now my question is ..... what in the sam heck am I doing wrong? is 16 total % in decrypter the same as 22% in the analysis in DVD shrink the same spot on the dvd?

I looked at the dvd and there are some small scratchs...would that do the trick or triggering this?

thank you in advance.

yes I am a newbie...I am learning. but I did take the common decency to search and do trial and error. but I give up on that.

2. beltline

beltline Regular member

Yes that scratch could very easily be causing the problem. Try cleaning it. I know it sounds crazy, but it does work sometimes. Clean from the inside out and not in a circular motion. It will only take a moment and you'll know fairly quick if it takes care of it.

3. scott565

scott565 Member

well I dont know if this makes a difference but I played it on my hoome dvd player and worked fine. but is backing up that picky?

4. scott565

scott565 Member

and I just tried cleaning it middle to outside edge instead of circular and no luck :( still stops at 22% in shrink and same as decrypter

it came up with cyclic redundancy check error this time? bad movie? scratchs are the problem correct?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  5. beltline

beltline Regular member

Yes, backing up can be that picky. It can be a number of things. Bad media, laser dirty, scratched disc, etc. The easiest to always check is to try and clean the disc. The next eaiset thing is to change media. What media are you using? Here's another suggestion (from scuba pete):

Have you tried DVD Decrypter? Even brand new clean discs can have errors due to defective media or burning. Try Decrypter then try this settings if that does not work.
    First, it should be version 3.5.1.0 or later.
    Open Decrypter, click on Tools,then Settings
    Click on Defaults, then select these;
    General tab
    Options - Removal Method - Aggressive
    File Mode tab
    Options - Remove PUOs (IFO and/or VOB)
    ISO Read Mode tab
    Options - Remove PUOs (IFO and/or VOB)
    CSS tab
    CSS Cracking Method - Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange
    On Failure - Yes
    IMPORTANT:
    I/O tab
    Options - Ignore read errors.

Here is a method for cleaning disc by Scuba Pete:

As a final resort to retrieve scratched DVD's.

Materials needed:
    A soft cotton cloth
    Toothpaste w/Borax
    (Brasso metal polish may be used as a substitute for toothpaste)
    Isopropanol Alcohol
    Pledge
    Glass
    Ice
    Orange Juice and Vodka

Method: "If this doesn't work it's into the "Cirular File" with you -

START:
    1. Place the disc on a firm soft surface. Apply a small amount of toothpaste to a soft cotton cloth and apply to your DVD. Rubbing very firmly in an even stroke from the center outwards towards the edge. Repeat 10 to 15 times. Do this over the entire disc turning the disc slowly in a circular manner, always going from the inside to the outer edge.
    When finished:
    2. Clean the disc thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth moistened with Isopropanol Alcohol, using a firm even rubbing motion from the center outwards towards the edge.
    NEXT:
    3. Using a clean piece of cotton cloth, apply Pledge to the entire disc in the same manner as the toothpaste was applied above.

Attempt to play disc.
    4. If the disc refuses to play, take 1 large glass, add only 3 Ice cubes, then pour in Orange Juice and Vodka. The glass contents are to be liberally applied internally.

Steps 1 through 4 may be repeated as required to recover disc.

Let us know more information on your burner, firmware, and the media you are using. It can very easily be the media.

6. scott565

scott565 Member

well my specs are

win xp
    1 ghz
    256 mb of ram ( I did have 512 but one of my chips failed ) getting more soon
    memorex double layer dvd burner part # 3202 3282. I have read memorex isnt that good for media ( but does the same apply for harware? I havent have a problem with it yet till this movie. I also use 8x memorex media. which I also heard memorex media SUCKS. But i also havnt had a problem yetwith this media. it works and plays smooth on the home dvd player.

so right now I hope its just the disk and not my computer, burner, media

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  7. beltline

beltline Regular member

Actually since you're not even making it to the burning phase, let's rule out the media. Have you done RE2 or The Forgotten? If so, then your software isn't the problem. This all leads back to the scratch on the disc. So before you spend too much more time on it, I would suggest replacing the original.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  8. scott565

scott565 Member

well I replaced the orginal. I tried using decrypter and it got to 99% and said it couldnt patch like 3 files. I just kept clicking ok. I didnt try to burn it with clonedvd yet. right now im trying to use dvdshrink to see if that will give me an error. right now its at 79% in the deep anylsis. wish me luck

in other words it WAS the scratch. might I add nothing but net for that baby as scuba pete would say ;)

but with those 3 errors of not being patched. is it still ok to burn?

9. scott565

scott565 Member

anyone? ^

10. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Sure .... go for it ..... allot of people get those little errors at the end and have a good working copy. Just curiouse .... Have you tried AnyDVD?

11. scott565

scott565 Member

i have the new anydvd running in the background. I finally got it to work with dvd shrink and it took 5 hours and 58 minutes. :O