1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jaggies

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by mendonca, Feb 22, 2005.

1. mendonca

mendonca Member

I have been transferring VHS tapes to DVD using a digital cam as the "capture" device to firewire input in my computer. All goes fine and the quality is perfect until the DVD is created. Then whenever there is a lot of motion, such as quick camera movement, I get "jaggies" which is what I call the quality reminding me of low resolution monitors in the old days. I am sure it is the encoding to DVD but can find no reason as I tried different encoding software. I capture in AVI 720X480.
    Help

2. Leonidcat

Leonidcat Member

Do you have a capture card your connecting to? The only way I could do this is connect my VCR to my PC via a capture card.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I guess these "jaggies" is caused by interlacing (you see horizontal lines?).
    Firts of all, are you watching on TV? It might look OK on TV but not on a PC screen. Interlaced video is not very suitable to view on PC screens
    If it also looks bad on your TV. Probably the line order in the interlacing has changed.
    If you tell us step by step what you are doing and what software you use we can help you better.

And Leonidcat, what he is doing is using a digital camcorder to put between his analog source and his PC: 'pass-through'. This way you don't need a capture card (and it gives very good results). Look here: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/transfer.php

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  4. mendonca

mendonca Member

It does not matter if I watch on TV, computer monitor etc. The only way I can explain is if there is a diagonal white line such as the white line on a road, it appears as a sort of white "zees". Also when thereis motion from the camera it gets worse. I believe it has to do with encoding, computer not fast enough? I have a AMD Athlon 2600+ with 1 GB memory and a SATA 7200 80GB drive with a 120 GB 7200 IDE. I have just purchased ADS PYRO A/V LINE. A good choice?

5. Leonidcat

Leonidcat Member

When I use my DV Camera with firewire into the PC I capture at 640 X 480. That's what my camera records at. Since VCR is analog - I would assume that it has to be 640 X 480 is that correct. Reason asking is that I am going to do some old stuff pretty soon using Adobe Premiere and have to use a capture device for my Analog camera into the PC.

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Hey Guys,
    We're discussing two differnt things in one thread. Who wants to move to a new one? ;-)

Anyway. I'll adress Mendonca's issue first.
    Looks like you indeed have a field order problem. I guess you capture in DV-AVI (this is what the ADS Pyro A/V Link does) and you're not directly encoding to MPEG, are you? If you see this phenomenon in your AVI files: check if somewhere in your capture software you can change the field order (it cab be either Bottom Field First or Top Field First). If you change it, your problem should be over.

To Leonidcat:
    Are you transferring analog material from your VCR through your digital camera to your PC? No, you don't capture in 640x480. If you transfer through a digital camera via Firewire to your PC it will either be 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). Don't mix up these pixel numbers with numbers you see for analog sources (Analog sources do not work with pixels they do work with lines).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  7. mendonca

mendonca Member

TPFKAS, I think you have something there about field order. I will check that. Thanks