1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerky Dvd's

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by melody07, Jul 20, 2007.

1. melody07

melody07 Member

Hi. I hope I have chosen the right topic to post in.

Basically for years now every time I have made a dvd, with Nero express or other dvd maker that came with the pc, either on an internal dvd write or external, which I am using now... The dvd always comes out jumping ever 3-5 seconds slightly.

Although when I play it on the computer it seems to be perfect quality AVI.

This always happens on different computers and dvd writers over the years..

Is there something I'm completely missing to do or would I need to buy top of the range blank dvd's?

Thanks for your help.

2. onya

onya Guest

G'day Melody07, Jerky playing DVD's can almost always be attributable to the Quality of the blanks used and the Speed at which they are burnt. If you can, buy Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim brands and burn no faster than 8X speed.

There are standalone players and PC DVD-RW drives out there that can only handle a certain media format. To get around this problem, either get an optical drive (burner) that will booktype, or use DVD-R blanks. As you mentioned........

How can you go wrong when using the best materials?

Cheers.

3. melody07

melody07 Member

Perhaps they have been burning too fast then.. optical drives and booktype is another language to me lol... but I will look into it.

I thought I was using the best materials but it still goes wring :) I have used Vertibrim many a time.

thanks L:)

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Verbatims are top of the line, are you using the +R or the -R variety? -R seem to be more widely accepted by various makes of standalone players, I myself use only Verbatim -R, Taiyo Yuden -R, and Sony -R disks and rarely experience disk skipping. (Everyonce in a while a bad disk or burn comes thru.) Follow Onya's advice on burning no faster than 8X. However, one other variable to question, how big is your power supply unit on your computer? If you have a marginal stock unit and you have added additional components such as a second burner, various USB peripherials, a second or external hard drive, the power consumption will increase and your computer may lag in its ability to supply enough power to the laser. I replaced the stock unit with a 550 watt to cover the second hard drive, burner and cell phones. (yes we charge our cell phones off the USB jack- transfer pictures onto the computer that way also)
    One other factor, do you multitask while burning? like browse the internet, E-mail or something similar? Try shutting down all unneeded programs or processes and see if that helps.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  5. melody07

melody07 Member

I will try all of the above with the same AVI and see how it turns out.

I do not multitask although the programmes are still open, IE and OE so I will close everything, and try a slower burn.

Thanks for the tips.

6. onya

onya Guest

Verbatim disks are reputed to be top notch media, unlike the TDK's that I have used in the past.

An OPTICAL drive is the drive you use to play and burn your stuff with on your PC. As opposed to the HARD DISC DRIVE that you save your files to.

Booktyping is the ability of your optical drive to make copies that "fool" most players etc into thinking it has the original disc. Technically there is more to it, but I'm just a mud cruncher......:)

Read this on booktyping....

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/258859

Remember to keep the burning speed LOW.

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

One thing I forgot to mention,
    how often do you defrag your hard drive? If your files are fragmented when you burn them, they will tend to skip and pixelate (Lego Land Video) and defragging your drive will keep the burning smooth.

8. melody07

melody07 Member

I admit hardly Ever...

*goes to defrag*

9. EmmyJay5

EmmyJay5 Member

Is it really necessary to defragment every few days? It tells me every time I analyze that I need to defragment! Is this common?

10. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

If you do a lot of writing to the disk, this is common, for example install/uninstall programs, burn movies, lots of temp file usage, and other things cause your hard drive to become loaded with fragmented files. I usually defrag once a month or so. Some may need to do this more often.

11. EmmyJay5

EmmyJay5 Member

I'm burning 5 DVDs a day... I guess i'll defragment now. I'm starting up my collection so I'm trying to get all my favs. Also the files are like 2hrs and 40 minutes, will they run smoothly or are they destined to skip on a DVD-5?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  12. onya

onya Guest

@EmmyJay5

As BlivetNC posts, Defrag and Defrag some more. You'll notice the improvement. (and your PC will love you for it...lol)

I Defrag my HDD's at least weekly. I'd do them more frequently given the work load yours are going through.

13. EmmyJay5

EmmyJay5 Member

What about the length of the files?

14. onya

onya Guest

EmmyJay5, it's really the size of the file(s) you are putting on to a single layer DVD.(DVD-5) Regardless of what recoding software you have, your trying to fit a dual layer (DVD-9) onto a much smaller capacity disc. By the sounds of it you might need some help in that department. Go HERE for Guides and software downloads. Note that there are freeware apps that will do just as good as the bought stuff. The more tools you have the better IMO.

This help any?

15. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Defrag, use good media, Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Sony, etc, burn at 1/2 the rated speed, and don't multi task while burning, basic startingpoints to assure good burns.

16. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I rarely defrag. I see no need for it on a fairly modern system with large HDs running XP/NTFS.

17. melody07

melody07 Member

Still stuck

I defragged, used Verbatrim Dvd's and burnt at lowest speed of 4x and it still jumped on the dvd every 3 secs, its only slight but enough for me to notice :(

Any other ideas of what I am doing wrong?? thanks :)

18. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Are you converting from PAL to NTSC? Are you starting with AVIs that are then converted to DVD?

19. Sindrey

Sindrey Member

i have the same problem :(

im converting it to PAL format. Start with AVI's and burn them to dvd