1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jerky playback...........ggrrrr

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by jon3000, Dec 10, 2004.

1. jon3000

jon3000 Member

I have used nero vision express, and dvd santa to convert avi to dvd, but every time when the dvd is burnt, it play's jerky. Both the dvd and the converted file play jerky, I have tried NTSC PAL, burning at slower speed, changing codecs, but nothing seems to work.
    Please Help.......
    Thanks in advance..

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Can you play the completed file off of your hard drive and when you do does it play fine or the same results?

If it plays fine off of the hard drive then it is more than likely (about 95%) your media. What type/Brand of media are you using?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

3. snut

snut Guest

I have the same problem, what do you mean by what type of media are you using?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What is the name brand of your blank DVD's?
    Are they +R or -R?

So even when you play the file that was created with NVE off of the hard drive it still plays jerky? Not from the dvd but directly from the Hard Drive.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

5. snut

snut Guest

The brand of DVD is Datasafe I'm not sure of the + or - bit. My burner is + and - compatible. When I play the file from the hard drive it plays fine. Its not my player as the film plays the same on three different players. I have been reading the boards and have removed k-lite codecs from my system, could this be the problem? When I use DVD Santa to convert the AVI files I have noticed that the seconds tick eratically too. I have tried using PAL and NTSC but the seconds tick the same for each. This to me makes me beleive that this is where the jerkyness comes from. The picture doesn't shake. It only seems evident when the camera pans round, you then get what seems like a millisecond pause every second. The DVD's that I use have been fine when copying films. I have recently downloaded a multi codec pack should I try converting the file and burning again despite the eratic second ticking? or should I download a different file and try converting and burning that one?

6. jon3000

jon3000 Member

Yes when I play the converted file off the harddrive it is jerky.
    My set up is:
    Win xp sp2
    AMD Sempron 2800+
    1gb ddr 2700
    Emprex dvd-+r rw
    Lite-on dvd-+r rw

This problem only happens when converting avi files.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  7. henryting

henryting Regular member

Can anyone out there explain to me what do you mean by subpicture?

8. snut

snut Guest

I have managed to reduce the jerkyness by burning the file as NTSC. Originally the file I needed to burn was on two seperate disks, when I joined them together Nero said it was two big to fit on one disk. I subsequently downloaded DVD Santa and burned as PAL, after a lot of experimenting and installing new codecs I accidently left the settings at NTSC and hey presto... not perfect, but not as evident. I think the file may be ify and will try others files. The original jerkyness only came about during the conversion. If any one suffers the same problem you can check the quality first by allowing santa to run for about five minutes then stop it, go to My Computer/Local Disk/TempDVD/VideoTS open this folder
    and run the file.

9. freaky1

freaky1 Member

I had that problem too with an old movie I burned from a vhs movie. Never could figure out why playback was jerky only on a stand alone dvd player, playback was fine when I played on computer from the files or on the Ritek G04s that I used. Would like to know myself what causes that.

10. yossip

yossip Member

Snut, did you solve the problem with jerky playback? If so, what did you do? I am experiencing exactly the same problem: jerky playback when camera is panning. Would appreciate your reply. Thanks!

11. snut

snut Guest

Yossip, I sorted it by burning the file as NTSC whereas I was originally trying to burn it as PAL. It turned out that the file was corrupt, when I eventually sat and watched it. I now only aim for AVI's that will fit on a single disc and transcode them using winavi. I have not had a problem using this method. If you are using Santa then follow my instruction on my last posting. Good luck