1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joining a & b sides of a movie

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Mez, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

Does anyone know how to merge 2 movies? I had been using VOBedit/ifoedit but the process was complex enough that I have forgotten how to do the deed. When I went to the site where the guides were the site appeared to be gone. Now I wish I made a copy of the guide. I do remember the VOB file naming convention. I will experiment and hopefully it will come back to me. I did one only a few months ago. It might be a good idea to post some kind of guide while they remember just how to do it, since the utility is still out there. I really like to have the movie on one disk if it is possible.

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I need to try the above guides. A few months ago on an other closed thread persons were trying all sorts of metheods and ifo/vob edit solution was the only successful method. I doubt that someone would go through the effort of making a guide for something that does not work. However, if you leave out some detail in the guide, persons may fail to get it right. If anyone was successful with any of the guides please say so.

I did play with what I had last night and managed to merge A & B without any problems. I retained just enough to be able to pull it off fairly easily.

Here is a crude thumbnail of how to merge side A & B using vob/ifo edit. Shrink 'thinks' the movie is a trailer but it does process it and the readers process it OK. You obviously need to backup the the full disk in Shrink. That reminds me, When you make the original files you need to select only the movie. Junk is your enemy for this project for many reasons.

Have the files from side A in folder A and B in B. The first VOB in B needs to be altered so it is not a header file but a trailer file. Alter the most right number in the file name from 1 to 001 EX VTS_01_1.VOB => VTS_01_001.VOB. VOBedit will then create a new VTS_01_1.VOB that is a trailer. Open that file and select ‘join clips’ from the options in the upper left menu. Just press the default answers for any questions.

Rename the vobs most right numbers as they should be sequenced for the new movie. Copy the VOBs to folder A except VTS_01_001.VOB. Delete all but the vob files in A. Use ifoedit to remake the info files. Open ifoedit and press the ‘Create IFO’ button. Then select your first VOB file and it will build the info files. Use the default settings "Create 1 PGC only" and "Create Chapter for each cell" and "same as source". Now you are done with the mumbo-jumbo and back to familiar ground.

As I remember, the product is very skippy so you need to run FixVTS on the files. It removes the skips. Now you just have to fit it back on a disk. You may need a double layered DVD to hold the new movie.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@Mez..........if you just add title one from Side A, and add title one from Side B, in Shrink or Recode you will be able to fit the final files onto a DVD5! I've done many a double sided movie that way, successfully! Goodfellas, GodFather (I don't remember which GodFather it was, but one of them is a side A and side B) and Lord of the Rings (The Two Towers-Special Edition, which was on 2 disks). All was done with Recode, Remake a DVD, Add Titles with success!

5. Mez

Mez Active member

How is that done? I tried using the Shrink guide. I suggests you go into re-author mode and use the browser to pick the files you want. The browser did not display the files I had opened the other day using the file mode to burn a DVD. I must me missing something. I am using 3.2. I have never been able to even run 2 titles for the same disk.

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

follow this guide: http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/46/59/

rip Side A and Side B to your hard drive using DVDDecrypter/DVDFab Decrypter/AnyDVD. then use ReAuther mode and add your titles found where you ripped Side A and Side B! and follow this guide above! Works every time!

7. Mez

Mez Active member

IHoe, I noticed you did not list Return of the King EXT. I was not able to get that baby to fit on a DVD5. First I was pissed but then I realized I migh be asking too much. I did get it to fit with out sound. The Lord of the Rings Ext were my first splices.

I have been using files not disks. I realized you can grab another title from a disk. I guess that was the bit of info I was missing.

8. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I was just thinking about this not the other day...and I think there's two parts to this discussion, and one I'd like to clarify so I can get the procedure down as best as I can.

1. Joining two movies so they run back to back. (with or without menu)
    2. Joining two movies with a menu, so you could select either one.

Dual layer disks not a problem.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

I believe the menu solution was handled well in a closed thread which this thread is a continuation.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/201805.

I say I believe because I never tried this option myself but there were no complaints about the menued solution posted.

It was the second option of just merging the sides as if they were one that spawned plenty of complaints. Shrink looks like the best solution to me since it is so widely used and there is a guide posted on this site. Once you do one, the process is simple enough to remember. The problem with the guide is it fails to mention the second title must be 'pulled' from a disk not from a file. At least, I was not able to figure out how to even 'see' a title from a file using Shrink 3.2.

10. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  11. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Thanks for the information....I'll continue to browse the threads when I get the time to start a project.

12. travalon

travalon Regular member

13. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

What would be the best wat to put two full movies on a dl saving everything and having a layer break correctly done?

14. Mez

Mez Active member

What would be the best wat to put two full movies on a dl saving everything and having a layer break correctly done?

I assume you want to but two full movies on one DVD with a menu to go to the wanted movie. Check out the menu option. I assume you are doing this to save money. You may not be able to get 2 full 9g movies to fit on 1 5g disk. Even two sided movies are usually not 4 hrs long. Return of the King extended version is and I know no one that was able to fit both sides on one 5g disk. Remember you are losing quality when you shrink the movies down.

15. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

IF you had looked at what I wrote closer you would see I said a dl(double layer). No loss(not much)but thanks for you concern.

16. MysticE

MysticE Active member

But both Shrink and Recode (with Nero6 at least) do not actually merge, they just make a DVD with multiple titlesets.

17. Mez

Mez Active member

I was not able to merge two sides ripped to files with Shrink. I needed one side ripped to files the other on disk. You can only add the b side (title) from a disk. What I failed to mention, see it is so easy to forget important peices of information, is I started with 2 disks already decrypted and slightly compressed, stripped down to movie only. I suspect I also removed what ever needed to be removed with the custom start and stop feature.

Hopefully, you have the full story now.

18. MysticE

MysticE Active member

No you don't, you can use DVD files off your HD, one doesn't have to be on a disc. You can also do it with images (ISOs) and any combination of all of them.

19. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks! I played around with Shrink again and this time I could not get it not to work. I can not figure out why I could not see the title before. It must be the sequence of how I did things or I was not paying careful attention.

This is great!

20. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Do note though, although on one disc you still will have multiple titlesets which will limit the way you can scan through the disc. To truly merge the IfoEdit approach is needed.