1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jukebox CD maker

Discussion in 'Audio' started by swampdaddy, Aug 17, 2016.

1. swampdaddy

swampdaddy Newbie

Years ago I had CD disc which was a Jukebox CD. It had a player on the disc (so none needed on the computer). It used MP3 files and you could put at least the equivalent of 10 (or more depending on the number of tunes) vinyl LPs on a single CD. Back then I had converted many LPs into regular CDs on my computer.

I examined this disc (and copied it to my computer) and found I could substitute my .mp3 versions of LPs into the appropriate folders, put LP cover scans in their folders, burn it back to CD and had Jukebox discs with my favorite music on them.

Past Windows 98 these discs would not work as it was 16-bit software. Has anyone seen any discs (or software for making them) in 32-bit software?

I AM NOT looking for a jukebox software for the computer as I want to make self-contained jukebox CDs.

If you have any leads to such a program or to a Jukebox CD disc I would appreciate learning of it.

anxious Newbie, Swamp Daddy

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Even though your request was clearly stated it is far from the 'usual' request. Are you looking to 'burn' mp3s to a CD or something else?
    That is what most persons do these days if they even use a CD to play music. The player just plays them in order. There is no need for folders. Most players don't look for folders unless there is no music at the root then searches for a folder with music. Then it plays the music in that folder.

What kind of device would you want to play them on?

Maybe what you really want is an mp3 player with play lists. The lists would act like your folders. They hold hundreds of times more information than a CD. Most car players will play a mp3 player's output.

3. swampdaddy

swampdaddy Newbie

Well, no, I am after what I asked for. I have MusicMatch Jukebox and JetAudio and can do all the playlists I want. That is not what I am after. The discs I am talking of have the player on the disc and would, of course, play on a computer with no player software at all.

I found a commercial disc of this type at a Camelot Super Store many years back. Had 10 hours of Louis Armstrong on it. The trouble is it was 16-bit software (and only played up through Windows 98 which was what most people were running back then). When XP (my next system O/S) was out the disc would no longer play as XP needed 32-bit software. I never found an updated disc of that type with a 32-bit player, etc.

I found, after reading the disc on to my 98 computer and inspecting the folders, I could substitute my music albums into the folders and put my scanned covers into the right folders and, presto, I could burn my own Jukebox CDs that would play on friends computers etc.

Perhaps a strange request, perhaps out of the mainstream, perhaps dated in this day and age. My main use of it personally was to put 5 or 6 hours of my favorite Christmas music on it which would be pleasant background to holiday parties, etc. I've looked for a number of years and never found what I wanted. And, After Dawn's forum was perhaps a pipe dream for finding this as I suspect the originators of the discs have never updated the software.

Thanks for the reply, Swamp Daddy

4. Mez

Mez Active member

So you want to play these disks on a computer? If so, why do you need a player on the disk? Why not use the player on the computer. I have CDs for background party music of different flavors and a Xmas DVD that will play all day. Maybe you can't get what you want but I am sure I can steer you to what you need. It is simple to make party disks if you don't mind using the player on the computer and not on the disk. Your CD will even hold more music without the player being on it. DVDs will hold about 6 times that of a CD. You don't even need to burn a disk if you use the computer with the music on it. By burning a disk the music can be played anywhere.

Does this work for you?

5. swampdaddy

swampdaddy Newbie

I can do about what I want on my own computer, I want the disc with player for taking to others' houses for background music. And, one interesting thing is that we (me and some friends) discovered that older Apex DVD players would play these discs and put the jukebox menu on the TV screen. I am still using an older APEX player which audio can be fed to a big stereo, ditto two friends.

However, happy to hear your recommendations on software as there might be some newer items I might want for my computer (which is too remotely located to use the big stereo).

Unfortunately, if you aren't running Win95 or Win98 you can't appreciate the ease of use of these discs. I am still interested to learn of any such discs compatible with newer operating systems (i.e.-32 bit software version) just as an exercise in programming. One friend says I should disassemble the software on the disc; but, my programming skills are ancient and it would be a million times easier to just find a 32-bit version of this ready to go.

Thanks for your help, Swamp Daddy

6. Mez

Mez Active member

What you want is getting more clear. I haven't heard of anything like what you have. So you can select what music you want to play? Well I don't think you can do that. It must be using DVD menus to do the selection. AD does have DVD menu utilities. I think that is too much work. I would just play the music in the burned order. As for software, you can review a table in the top sticky in this forum. Row 1 for all these threads.

I used Media Monkey to do my burning. It is a full service Jukebox player but the burn routine is easy to follow and has nice features. You would set the order before sending them to the burn routine. I don't think you can change the order there. The 'mp3 disk' will play on computers using what ever software is installed but most will honor the burned order. This will also work in DVD players.

I am a programmer. It would be easier to start from scratch using VB. The old routines will call routines that may not exist in a modern OS. If you want, you can get help in the Media Monkey forum. They have a programmer section. MM can run VB routines on the fly. These members are friendly and helpful.

Good Luck!