1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumpy Video on svcd

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by WhatsThat, Nov 8, 2001.

1. WhatsThat

WhatsThat Member

Can someone help please? I have been making some good vcds on TMPeng up to 2000kbits bit rate and decided to have a go at making an svcd. Problem is I can't get smooth video playback unless I reduce the bit rate to 1,150 kbits (VBR or CBR) which looks terrible with lots of motion blocking. I have a Limit 8080a dvd, and have checked all the settings whilst encoding in TMPeng. Any ideas would be welcome

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Sounds like your DVD player has some issues with its MPEG-2 decoding -- have you tried the SVCD on any other DVD player (although I can say for 99% certainity that the MPEG-2 encoding settings in your player's firmware cause the problem). Funny though that you can have higher bitrate with MPEG-1, but you have to use VCD bitrate for MPEG-2 :) Have you tried some ridiculous bitrates, like 8MBit/sec for MPEG-2 (same as regular DVD has)?

3. WhatsThat

WhatsThat Member

Thanks for the reply dRD; actually I haven't tried them in other players (looks like I'll have to take a trip out to one of our numerous electronic superstores over the weekend!!). What I forgot to mention was that I had converted one file using Nero burning software to SVCD, and this plays back quite well (but again the picture quality takes a knock). I will try uping the rate to something ridiculous and let you know what happens. Thanks again.