1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a quick poll, Use DVDShrink to decrypt or other?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by drosoph, Aug 25, 2004.

1. drosoph

drosoph Member

Do most of you use DVDShrink to decrypt or are you using an external program (ie, DVD Decrypter or others) to decrypt then us DVDShrink to get it to DVD-5 format?

I'm just curious as I'm new and I've encountered about 10% of my disks cannot be read in DVDShrink (diff errors) ... And I hear that DVD Decrypter works better for read errors and such.

Or should I just stick with Shrink until I get a bad disk and THEN try Decrypter?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]Or should I just stick with Shrink until I get a bad disk and THEN try Decrypter? [/bold]

YES

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I always use Shrink to decrypt and the one title I ran into that tripped it up I just fired up AnyDVD and tried again, no problems. Beauty eh?

4. michigan

michigan Guest

Stick with Shrink 1st. What title was it I haven't found very many that Shrink couldn't crack.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Not many, but it couldn't do Ned Kelly

6. michigan

michigan Guest

I don't have that one. Now I'll have to try and find it so I can try it.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Not a bad flick, it's Austrailia's Jesse James. BTW, decrypter couldn't do it either.

8. michigan

michigan Guest

Damn, Decrypter couldn't crack it! What did you use?

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Michigan,

A very tricky situation, it uses corrupted video that you can watch but not copy. When it reaches that point, it just stops. I couldn't even use smartripper and choose VOB's except for that one corrupted.

If they start using this more, good bye to backups. I have seen this before in others, but it was always at the beginning before the actual movie started and you could get around it with smartripper. This was in the middle, like VTS_01_03, 01,02,04, and 05 were fine.

I have heard of this method in Europe(but always at the beginning, not in the middle), hope it doesn't catch on here, if it does, I won't be loaning out any more DVD's, since I only loan out backups for others to watch.

10. michigan

michigan Guest

So you didn't back it up, huh. That sucks. Still sounds like a good flick.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Not bad, Heath Ledger is the starring role, and Naomi Campbell co-stars, she's pleasant to look at, worth it for that. heh heh

12. michigan

michigan Guest

Ok, Ok, I'll look for it!!

13. RogerWing

RogerWing Member

I've had to use DVD Decrypter first on some region 3 (Hong Kong and South Korean movies "My Sassy Girl") and region 2 (Japan "Kill Bill Vol 1") DVD's on my region 1 DVD drive - it still worked fine (brute force), then DVD Shrink.

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ignore Read Errors in Decrypter?

15. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I believe that Ignore Read Errors should get around this since the data that it's trying to read isn't actually there (and it isn't referenced during playback either). I know that there are people working on a better solution, which is a good thing because otherwise it takes a lot of specialized knowledge of DVD structure to determine if there's actually an error or if the disc is just damaged.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Since this has happened to everyone I've talked to that has this movie, I think errors on the disc can be eliminated. Decrypter did allow me to skip the bad part and continue ripping however the files from the movie were then missing.

I tried "ignore read errors" 3 times(about 120 passes ensued), finally I used the option to skip and continue. I ended up with VTS_01_01 thru VTS_01_05 with VTS_01_03 being omitted. Part of the movie right in the middle.

I talked with Mackem X about it and sent him the files but haven't heard back.

I have often wondered about why they couldn't use this as a means of preventing copying as this is not the 1st disc I've come across with this problem. Before tho, the corrupted video was at the beginning before the main title started so you could rip with smartripper and just omit that particular file, then it worked fine.

The second Harry Potter was another example of this on the 2nd special features disc. It was also at the beginning of the disc. Any ideas?