1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a quick question

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by Oatie, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Oatie

Oatie Member

and maybe a very stupid one?

Whilst slowly die-ing of a cold late last night and perusing the Sky movie channels I noticed that on one of them, (cant remember which but Independance Day was the film), there was a sort of running commentary voice over on the soundtrack. The voice was describing what was going on in the film for what I presume is the visually impaired amongst us?

Is this normal and I just havent heard it before or have I done something wrong with my DBox, (its a Nokia running Sportster)?

Thanks in advance

2. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

all channels send various audio streams, one has the normal audio and another with commentary ( I assume for the blind)

some images like the Sporster 1.7 UK05 does not support this, whilst some do.

When you get this, if you press green button you should get a menu with various audio feeds, just select another one. However your imagem ust be able to support this extra audi stream.

3. Oatie

Oatie Member

Hi and thanks for quick reply.

Whenever I press the green button it takes me to a radio station so I presume that my image doesnt support the feature you mention.

Although I'm a bit wary of trying to update anything as I am sure to cock something up and render the box useless, what would be the best image to use if that is my only solution, (I live in Newport South Wales and am on NTL if that makes a difference?)?

Is there an easier way for me to 'choose' the correct feed such as doing a re-scan? It only happens on this one channel as far as I'm aware?

Thanks again for your help.

4. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

what image you using mate? if you choose the channel your using then when it brings up the small box on the bottom of your tv saying something like

Sky movies 2

14:20 batman
    17:00 In her shoes

(red) tv guide..............(green) audio.........(blue) extras.

If you look what colour is next to audio, then click that

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2007
  5. Oatie

Oatie Member

I'll have a look tonight and see what it says, (in work at the mo). The bloke whom I bought it off in Germany pre loaded it with Sportster Pro I think, but what version I'll have to try and suss out when I get in front of it.

Thanks for you help on this chaps, it is appreciated.

6. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

No prob mate, to get the version goto Dbox- sportster extras( i think lol ) then image version or something like that. If you cant get it just let us know

7. Oatie

Oatie Member

Hi again,

Ive had a look at the DBox and Ive found the commentary on UK Documentary as well. Whenever I hit the audio button, (which is marked as green on the epg), it just takes me to BBC Radio 2. I hit the green button again to go back to the tv channel.

Ive had a look to see if I can find what image/software I'm using but cant find the 'extras' menu anywhere?

I hit the blue button to go to sportster menu section and it takes me to a submenu offering options such as 'Public Key menu', EMU settings and selection, Install/Uninstall software, Menu setting and such like.

There is an option for System Menu which when opened brings up a screen showing CPU usage and memory usage and the likes. It does say at the top of that 'Neutrino sysinfo 1.60'??

I did a restart of the box to see if I could notice what version is loaded but it just says 'Sportster.ump.2002.net' and a load of very small letters which I presume are hex values?

Hope this makes some sense to someone and that someone will have an idea as to what I should truy to get rid of it. I know I said its only a small problem, but now I know its there I'd like to get it fixed if possible.

Thanks ever so much again.

8. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

Are you fimiliar with reflashing bud?. To find my image i goto dbox-sportster extras- image information, If you can reflash that would solve your problem

9. Oatie

Oatie Member

Ive never reflashed it in my life. Only had it the other week and was hoping that I wouldnt have to muck around with it. I have got a modicum of knowledge as to how to do it, (the bloke who I bought it from sent a CD with a few faq's and such like).

What image should I be looking to put on it, (assuming I can get hold of said image)?

10. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

Well what box isit you have Nokia or sagem?. I have the latest sportster image its configured for a sagem but will work on nokia. How are you trying to connect to your dbox buddy via which cable? ethernet,cross over or null?

11. Oatie

Oatie Member

Mine is a Nokia DBox2 but I'm going to have to find out whether its a one or two chip version, (Ive read that the image is dependant upon the number and type of chips installed in the box).

I was intending on connecting to the unit via ethernet cross over cable, (can get one made in work). I have also downloaded an Imageflashing assistant from Hallenberg. I understand that I have to get a null modem cable for this to work properly. And obviously I need the image.

I have seen a Commando 7 release for download, is this better or the same as Sportster?

Does all this make any sense???

Thanks in advance.

12. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

Well commando is a good image, however commando 7 is only BETA release at the moment it still needs some work . So personally i would just go with the latest sportster image with all the files included. You dont need a null cable basicly if it takes you three chances with a cross over it would take your 1 chance with a null+ cross over.

Alot of people recommend getting both, but if you cant be bothered waiting to get you hands on it then just use the cross over