1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just a simple question about computers

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by 12achel, Mar 21, 2005.

1. 12achel

12achel Member

is it bad to leave your computer on for long periods at a time? i'm downloading something that's going to take several days and i'd hate to keep ending it, then starting it again. is it okay to leave your computer on, or is it critical to give it a rest?
    thanks in advance for your help~

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if not using the computer shut it down as is waste of electricity & possible damage from brown or blackouts. another thing to remember if on cable or dsl once into windows you are on the net without clicking internet explorer or whatever you use to go onto the net so should have a firewall setup that will slow down a hacker from getting into your computer

3. 12achel

12achel Member

thank =)

4. TWK

TWK Member

12achel

I agree with ddp when he mentions about brown outs and black outs. But if you must leave your PC on for days on end, (such as businesses and their servers,) make sure you get a good UPS, (uninterrupted power supply,) and have all your equipment go through it such as protected DSL cable or phone lines, and all electrical outlets used by your machine. Three machines I have are left off for the most part, but one I leave on all the time, with a few exceptions. And even though a UPS doesn’t like equipment that takes a lot of power such as a printer or CRT monitors, I still have all my equipment go through it. I also have minimum 1000VA and higher so its no problem for my main system and is set to automatically shut down after 10 minutes of a power outage.

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

Total System Uptime: 5wks 4days 21hrs 3mins 47secs
    That's my current total. I leave mine on all the time and have been for years. Back in 1991 we were having a lot of hard drive failures. People would come in to work and their computer would not start. It turned out that the hard drives were failing when they were spinning up to speed. We started leaving everything on all the time and the hard drive failures stopped. Hard drive reliability has improved in the last 14 years I am sure, but I still see most hardware failures during bootup. I just leave it on anyway usually idling in the AfterDawn IRC channel irc.stormchat.org #ad_buddies.