1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just about to mod my wii need advice best tuts please

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by cp2007, May 30, 2007.

1. cp2007

cp2007 Member

hi yes i have used the search function and have found to be frank so much information it is unbelievable my basic question to you is what is the best tut to install the wiikey i do not have much soldering experience but am quite good with this sort of thing i will list below what i have bought can anyone recommend anything else i might need
    15w soldring iron with lots of tips
    wiikey
    de soldering braid
    3 tri screwdriver
    KYNAR WIRE 30 AWG 5MTRS
    20g of flux cored electrical solder 60:40 tin/lead.
    anything else i will need ????

2. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

A Steady Hand...

You should be good to go man! I recommend a Steady Hand, just because my Hands shake a lot, and it was hard for me to do a QuickSolder Method with the WiiD chip! I had to do a Wire Install, and it works great! The QuickSolder Method, in my opinion, is hard to do, just because you have to make the solder go from the point on the chip, and kind of drip to the point on the Wii! If you can't do the QuickSolder Method, just use Wire (I take some phone line, and take out the wires inside of that), and do a Wire Install!

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  4. cp2007

cp2007 Member

thanks for the help guys

5. I7aliano

I7aliano Member

My biggest piece of advice to give anyone for a wire method, is place the modchip in a permanent place on the wii and DO NOT MOVE IT while soldering wires onto it, or even afterwards. In fact, it should never be moved once you have the wires installed, because you run the risk of a wire coming off. A wire came off 4 times on me since I kept moving it into place, don't do what I did. If you want a clean place to put the chip, there is a spot on the right hand side, it's a little black pit, the chip fits perfectly in there, just to the right of the ribbon holder.

Just basically tin everything (apply flux before tinning though)with beads of solder, including the wires, apply flux to wire, set wire on tinned joint, put iron on wire until solder melts, hold wire still and lift iron until it cools, and viola.

This install was my first time soldering, it's nerve racking, but I read lots of helpful stuff and pretty much figured it out on my own. Just make sure you are confidant in doing it, if not, I wouldn't try, haha.

6. jnaks

jnaks Regular member

call me a retard, but flux is just a cleaning agent you apply to the solder iron tip before you tin it right?

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  7. Menion

Menion Regular member

Actually Flux is a Saughter Magnet, wonderful stuff to use! as for the regular direct sautghter method i would only use it if your using a very small paint brush to apply it otherwise if wire install you put it on the wires and then apply saugheter to the wires giving you a head start in making sure the wire sticks with little time :)

8. I7aliano

I7aliano Member

Just use a toothpick and dab a bit on each contact before tinning them, and on the wires before you solder them onto each contact for the final step.

9. taoput

taoput Guest

don't forget electrical tape. I do the wired method and put wiikey on wii board so I need to electrical tape to make sure the wiikey won't move and there won't be any short between wires.

10. taoput

taoput Guest

oh one more advice. Use 2 hands... haha. It was my first time soldering so my hand is very shaky. But using 2 hands really help (you need another person to help you hold the wire though).

11. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

You CAN have someone help you hold the wires, or you can just use Electrical Tape, to hold the chip down, while you solder on to the spots! You can also tape the wires next to the solder point, and then solder it on!