1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought a flashed DS Lite

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Lutheran, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Lutheran

Lutheran Member

I am a n00b to the world of DS homebrew but have every other modded console known to man lol. I bought a DS Light from a guy on ebay who says the DS he sold me has had its firmware flashed to remove the warning page and also is now enabled to play 3rd party homebrew carts without the use of a passme card. That is all foreign to me as this is the first time I even considered playing with a modded DS. Can any kind soul please explain to me what I need to buy next so that I can download homebrew and backups of my previously owned DS games so that I can play them on my newly purchased DS? I assume I need a transfer cable and blank cart of some sort.

How can I know what firmware version my DS is? Or what he used to flash it so I know what I have to do next incase I need to flash it again or to make sure what he did even works. I would really appreciate any help. Besides DS games are there any real good emu's available for the DS? I am going to go into heavy duty read mode now on this site and others to try and learn and unn00b myself but thanks for any help that anyone can provide me.

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Easy way to find if your DS is flashed properly is check the warning screen is gone and see what 'official' firmware it is using:

Turn on the DS with a game inserted, go to pictochat, room A, now eject the cart (no harm will come to you ds or game) the screens should turn green or purple. Purple is the latest FlashMe v7 - Green was the older versions. As you have a Lite i would expect it to be Purple

What device you get to play homebrew on depends on what you want to be able to do:
    -Homebrew
    -GBA Games
    -NDS Games
    -Media playback

3. Lutheran

Lutheran Member

Thanks a lot mr_hanky I appreciate the reply , lets say I want to just play NDS games what would you recommend and do you have a link for a place where I can purchase this item? Thanks again for your help.

4. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

(This is my first time trying to answer a question, I'm sure Mr. Hankey will message if he agrees or not, click his M3 DS Simply Guide link in his sig for better answers).

If you just want to play DS games, here are some options:

1. DS-X (DS-Xtreme): Has a built in usb for easy connection to the computer and fits in the DS Slot 1 (DS game slot). Let down is that has a built in fixed memory of 512MB. From other posts, you can fit 6-12 games on it. It is plug and play and doesn't require anything else since it has a built in passme.

2. M3 DS Simply: Plug and play also with built in passme. Doesn't use built in memory, it uses MicroSD cards (that are bigger than 512MB) to read and play DS games. But you also need a MicroSD Card reader that plugs into your PC's USB port to put the games onto the MicroSD cards. With this you can also watch movies and listen to music on your DS, that homebrew stuff.

I would go with the M3 DS Simply since you can do more and have more room for games, but it seems those are hard to find in stock.

Hope this helped.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  5. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Yep your pretty much right.

I thought i would also add that the M3 DS Simply does come with a card reader so the only thing you need to buy seperatly is the MicroSD card.

As for stock ModChipStore may have some at the moment if your lucky, or Divineo China should have some within 3 days.

Or if you desperate you can buy one off me, but I live in rip-off UK so it't won't be the cheapest around :-(

6. Lutheran

Lutheran Member

7. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Yea, that is all you will need to get started.

As for the price being good or not, I would just compare that price to the price of all the combined items or bundles you can find for the M3 DS Simply on the websites listed in Mr. Hanky's M3 DS Simply Guide.

From looking for another mod cart, I would say when there is a bundle that has everything in it, your best option is to get it (Plus M3 DS Simply's are a hot item and usually out of stock, so be quick). You should still compare the price with all the other web sites out there though.

Also, keep in mind where you live. I read in other posts, that when ordering something from the UK or Canada when you live in the USA, your order has to go through customs and that adds some unhappy waiting time. So buying from retailers in the USA is a plus.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  8. Lutheran

Lutheran Member

9. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I thought about that too since it is cheaper and appears to be as powerful as the M3 Adapters.

Mr. Hanky answered this question for me here
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/456345

I think the M3 Adapter is stronger.

Basically, the G6 has a fixed memory of only 512MB(about 6-12 games). The M3 Adapters use SD cards that can go up to 8GB (whole lot more room for media). There is a compatibility chart here that shows peer analysis of different SD cards so you can make sure you buy a good compatible one.
    http://m3wiki.com/index.php/Media_Card/Mini_SD
    (Make sure to click your device at the bottom before looking)

The plus for the G6 is that it is cheap and has touch screen support, but Mr. Hanky told me he got one and it broke, and he sent it back for a refund.

I do have a friend in RL who has had this for 3 months and no problems, but I don't think I could live with his setup. He has millions of games on his comp and has to update his cart all the time.

10. Lutheran

Lutheran Member

I'll go with the M3

11. Lutheran

Lutheran Member

12. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Looks good to me, that is all you will need to get started. Good job hunting for the cheapest price :)

Enjoy!

13. Lutheran

Lutheran Member

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=15318&t=434496

Great deal for Kingston MicroSD

Kingston 1GB microSD w/ Adapter @ Buy.com

$18.95
    + $6.02 shipping
    - $10.00 Google Checkout (new customer/new email)
    - $9.00 Rebate (Careful! You may have used this for something else. Valid 1/21/07 - 1/27/07)
    -------------
    Total: $5.97 + tax

I just did this and paid 14 dollars and change...I also downloaded the 9 dollar rebate form so 5 bucks and change is a sweet deal for this card..now to find the best M3 deal :) I'm a cheap bastard lol.

14. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I'm a miser too and you way outdid me here.

Any hints for other deal seekers?

How did you find this deal?