1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just built, but wont turn on

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by windman43, Aug 27, 2007.

1. windman43

windman43 Member

i just got all my stuff in the mail and i put it all together, but when i hit the power button nothing happens at all. im not entirely sure if im hooking the power switch up right.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Then you should make sure that the power switch is hooked up correctly :)

Also make sure the PSU cables are connected to everthing.

What PSU do you have?

3. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Are you sure you have the power switch cable pluged it? and to the right spot?

Also make sure you connected the 24pin power to the mobo as well as the 4pin power to the mobo.

4. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

read the manual for your motherboard. it will tell you how to set up the front panel wires.

5. windman43

windman43 Member

sorry i didnt get to reply. i had to go to work from 5pm-11...lol... but neway i figured it all out (i had the wire upside down lol) and i am now replying from my newly built computer (i feel so happy inside)

6. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

good for you! the wire thing is kinda funny :)

i now have to wait a few days until I can get my system working because i was shipped a faulty PSU :( stupid thing cant keep the power coming!

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Man mike, you've been having a lot of problems lately!

8. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

I know :( I am having a really bad week, my wireless router died, I replaced it with an older wired router, now vista computers can't connect, and I go to a computer store and at the last minute I change my mind on PSUs and the one i get is faulty :(

lol oh well, thats life!

funny thing, all my ebay parts are working great! (but i did crack the plastic on one of the fans :( )

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Reminds me of when I built my Intel with the GA-965P-DS3. The case came with AC '97 sound connectors(confusing as hell) and I spent three hours trying to hook them up until I realized the machine used high-def sound. And the case came WITH the front panel connection for high-def. I felt so stupid :p

EDIT:

I eventually cut off the little AC '97 wires and wrapped the ends up in electrical tape. Got them outta the way. If I ever use something with AC '97 in my life, technology will have taken a HUGE step backwards.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  10. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

I spent 3 hours trying to fix a motherboard probelem that ended up to be a bad PSU, i was pulling out the CMOS battery, then putting it back in, then I would go into the bios, and 10s later it would power off, i was so mad.

Then i started watching the inside, and noticed my zalman 9500LED LED's would start to dim just before it shut down so got my other computer and took the psu out, then it worked fine.

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That's not so obvious as using the wrong audio connectors though :p

As far as bad PSU's... never had one. Seen a few but I've found myself to be pretty lucky with my choices.

Rosewill RP500.

Do NOT knock this one off as just another crappy Rosewill PSU. It is more than likely outsourced and is EXTREMELY stable. Mine has 26A on the 12+ volt rail and powers a 7600GT very well. I can't seem to find it on newegg any more but I can find it's little brother.

Rosewill RP500-2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182016&Tpk=Rosewill+RP500

Another good quality PSU. Little brother of the single-rail RP500. Not very high amps on the 12+ volt but it makes up for that by being a dual 12+ volt rail PSU. So while it's not quite as powerful it is still indistinguishable from the RP500. I don't own it but my friends all do and they like it :)

I've also got an Enermax Liberty 620W. It handles my overclocked 4400+ AM2 and an X1800XT 256MB. Some say that it is crap and fails after a little less than a year but I've had mine for 1 year plus and it still has stable voltages and amps. Probably one of the best "last-gen" PSUs.

And the Thermaltake Toughpower 750W. I don't have much background on this one but it was recommended by sammorris. I saw that it had good reviews so I snapped it up to power my 8800GTX and overclocked E6600. Pretty solid as far as I can tell and not a single hiccup after running nearly 24/7 since right after Christmas.

Enough of my little insightful glance at PSUs :p

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The Ultra XVS Modular 700W is also nice(well it works fine for me and the reviewers like it). Estuanis have you ever had a bad experience with a Ultra?

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've only ever worked on one PC with an Ultra PSU and it wasn't the broken part. So I really haven't had any experience with them.

I also have never really seen Ultras catch-on in the mainstream. Yeah, they get decent reviews and some people like them. But I doubt they'll ever have a heavy reputation like Enermax, Antec, or Thermaltake.