1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a Vista notebook!!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by orngcrsh, Mar 8, 2007.

1. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

First off, i just want to say that i am really pressed for time right now as i'm a student and have a lab that i am running late to. so i'm sorry if theres already a thread on this.

i just got an hp dv2000 notebook from staples. 120 gig hd, amd 62 2x TL 52 processor, lightscribe, 1 gig of ram. it came preloaded with vista... I want to take off ALL of the crap that it came pre installed with thats not necessary.. i've done so with my xp but with vista i'm not sure what i can replace. what i mean by that is if there's an antivirus that will work with vista (i currently use sohpos, which is given to us free as students) i'm also concerned about a firewall... will zone alarm work on vista? or is the firewall with vista good enough?

2. observent

observent Guest

vista is crap in my opinion format and install windows xp :) or return ur note book and get a mac (best computer out there). and how much did you pay for this note book?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  3. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

well, there has definitely been a learning curve.. the main thing i dont like is the little tricks i knew in xp (like msconfig) to make the system run better. But i'm going to stick with it and give it a legitimate shot. I have a dual core desktop that has xp on it so its not like its a dire need.

a macbook was out of my price range (i paid 850 for this one and am waiting on a mail in rebate (which i may never get lol) for 50 bucks.. bringing it down to 800. it was originally 1000

4. observent

observent Guest

okay =D well if you go mac you never go back :p

5. AXT

AXT Guest

If you are a student you should be able to purchase windows from your campus computer store. Depending on where you go, vista should be free or very very cheap (~$20 at UT for ultimate). This retail vista comes with ONLY windows programs and no advertisement from AOL or other companies.

6. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Do not "stick with it." Get a copy of Windows XP. You should also be able to get an "Educational Discount" if it's still available; if not, buy the retail edition. Why use a crippled, untested, resource-eating OS when you can use a tried-and-true one? You also need to be aware that, those little tricks that you dislike about XP are necessary with ANY OS; they all run services and bullcrap startup entries that most people don't need. (How many people really need IP routing enabled? Answer: Almost none.) At least you know XP ... and it's tricks.

Then you won't have any of the crapware and spyware that comes pre-installed either. Of course, returning the laptop and getting an XP one is fine if you can find one; otherwise, treat Vista as a it is - another piece of undesirable crapware that came pre-installed with your machine.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  7. observent

observent Guest

OR!!! if it makes you happy installe windows xp then get the WINDOWS VISTA OS SKIN and pretend you have it thats what i did :p i got that and a macbook pro ^.^