1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just installed a flip top and now PS2 won't read anything!

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by sthunderx, Jun 4, 2007.

1. sthunderx

sthunderx Guest

Greetings! Newbie here. I just installed a flip-top on a V10 PS2 and now the drive will not read anything, original or back-up. This model has an extremely easy install, so I am not sure what has gone wrong. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Stephen

2. sthunderx

sthunderx Guest

update! The laser reads fine with the old drive cover, but not with the flip top... distance issue? Also its a V10 SCPH-50001 so it doesn't have the big white gear... although I do see two small white gears. Any suggestions?
    S

3. steimy

steimy Active member

If it reads just fine with the old cover then your laser is fine, so don't mess with it. I have seen many reasons for them not working. Like the screws on the bottom being too tight. Mine did this on a V7. I had to completely leave the screws out of the bottom after installing it before it worked. I have also heard of people who had to put a little weight on the fliptop because it did not press down enough. When i say a little i mean like a regular sized paperback book.

4. Moggle

Moggle Guest

I used to have the same problem.on your flip top cover, on the part that flips up there is a white plastic piece with a magnet on it. the problem is that the one that comes with the flip top cover is too weak, so if you switch the magnet that is on the original cover it should work again.

5. sthunderx

sthunderx Guest

Actually. I swapped the magnetic white disc first thing... so thats not it. I will try the weight idea though... sounds right.
    Thanks!
    S

6. Moggle

Moggle Guest

If the weight thing does not work than i have one more trick, you can take the magnetic white disc and instead of having the flip-top down, have it up and put the magnetic white disc on the hill in the middle of the dvd. Try running the disk with the top up. That has worked for me for the last year.

7. sthunderx

sthunderx Guest

Problem solved! I have one of the spring loaded flip-tops. The bottom part of the spring was overlapping the disc if you can envision that. So, when the laser was moving up and engaging the disc, the disc was getting caught under the spring which put it at an angle and broke the seal... so the disc never spun at all. I trimmed the bottom of the spring and it works like a charm now. Thanks for your help... it was in trying your suggestions that I finally saw the problem.
    S