1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just purchased DVD Burner - Help please!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dgessler, Jun 15, 2003.

1. dgessler

dgessler Member

Hi,

I just purchased a TDK Burner, and wondering if you guys could translate a few things for me. Here is the link to what I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...17531-1914443?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282

View specs from TDK's site: http://www.tdk.com/dvdburners/indidvd4xspecs.html

The title is "TDK 4x2;16x10x32 Internal IDE DVD+R/-RW/CD-RW Drive" - costed me $240.

This seemed like a popular buy on Amazon so I decided to go with the flow a bit. It seems this can burn DVD+R and DVD+RW.

Basically my question is this: Is this a smart buy? With DVD-R and DVD-RW, was it smart for me to go with DVD+R/DVD+RW? Actually I only found out about the 2 different formats after I bought it (just now), and now I am a little worried whether I bought the better version or not. Mainly what I plan on using this burner for is for burning data and backing up DVD's. There must be a more favorable type (especially for DVD guru's).

I heard pricing for DVD+R CD's is a bit more expensive. In the "Experts" minds (you guys ;-)), did I make the smart buy?

Thanks,
    Dan Gessler

Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I would have personally bought either Sony's dual-format burner or Pioneer A05. But then again, the number of discs that I burn annually makes even pennies difference between media prices (- vs +) a big difference.

Can't comment other than that, haven't tried TDK's burner.

3. djillini

djillini Regular member

I haven't had any personal experiences with tdk but, cnet had a very good review on it.

good luck!

dj

4. dgessler

dgessler Member

The only thing I'm worried about is this (should I be worried about this?):

If DVD-R in the next couple of years starts becoming the standard DVD type over DVD+R. Is there a chance of this happening? Any more of a chance than DVD+R being king over DVD-R in the future?

Thanks,
    Dan

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hold on.... you said:
    Technically DVD-R is the only DVD standard of writing according to the DVD Forum. It is unlikely that things will change much, more likely that both +/-R will become compatible with each other. In a few years a blue laser system will probably replace the DVD format as we know it.

I have to disagree with Da Bossman. I wouldnt buy a Sony Writer, i would most definitely have bought a Pioneer DVR105 since it is cheaper and better (in my opinion of course) than the TDK.

Consider this. Here at Afterdawn, you could refer to dRD as the father of this forum, here first,etc... Well in the DVD world, we consider Pioneer as the father of the DVD-R drives, they were the first to launch one. They have also been the most reliable to date and not on the expensive to much either. My advice to you is:
    [bold]Pioneer, Pioneer, Pioneer, except for media[/bold]