1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just wondering somethin about double layer disks...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mikke1556, Dec 26, 2004.

1. mikke1556

mikke1556 Member

Yesturday i got a dvd burner for xmas and when i got it i was intorduced to a whole wolrd of complicated dvd burning and such and im starting to get the hang of it. I tried to back up one of my movies (to test it out) with CloneDVD 2 and i noticed that the movie had nearly 8 gb in it. so i couldnt burn the movie cuz a regular dvd has about 4.5gb. so today i buought a pack of double layer disks. they are Verbatim DVD + R DL. anyways i opened it up and took the cd out to check and such and on the back cover of the jewelcase inside the case was this small graph that said

HQ 120min
    SP 240min
    LP 360min
    EP 480min

Im just wondering what this is. is my dvd capable of 480min? how do i do that if it can. do regular dvds do this to? what im wondering is what exactly does that graph mean.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Dvd shrink an dvd decrypter can put those 8 gig movies on 1 single 4.5 disc or 1 dual layer disc.Both programs are free.Plus they let you edit out the bonus crap like menus,foreign languages and extra titles. Many guides are here for you also,top tab on this page.You might want to practice on some standard rw's till you get the process down.Then work your way up to r's and then dl's. Both these programs also have a box you check for dv-9's- those dual layer discs.

Practice on the regualar discs unless you want $10.00 coasters.
    Later

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your burner must also be able to burn dual layer discs. As it is a fairly new field, most burners don't. Make sure your burner can even burn them before you go wasting 10.00 coasters.

BTW, saugmon is right on. The whole business of DVD backup is getting a DVD9 to fit on a DVD5 disc. It's called compression. That's what all these programs are for. Compressing without losing quality, which the better programs do.

4. RitekRG

RitekRG Member

Mikke .. what burner did you get for xmas. Initially,
    I thought as previous poster stated that dual burners
    were not out, but a quick search found that Sony has
    a dual-burner. Also, I would take their advice and test
    using RW's w/ some smaller cap. backups; I've found good success w/ CloneDVD in movies of around 2hrs w/
    all the 'crap' (as stated). Anything greater than 3/half hours will req' trailers and rest removed. Here's a
    good article in PCWorld; states some dual-layers will not play in many players. Suggest single layer first and forgo the hefty dl disk price, except what you have
    already purchased. Ritek makes very good, reliable media. Am using primarily and no 'coasters'. GL !!

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116265,00.asp
    "We tried out a $199 internal version of Sony's DRU-700A, a dual-layer, 8.5GB recordable drive that also writes single-layer DVD±R at 8X, DVD±R/RW at 4X, CD-R at 40X, and CD-RW at 24X. (The external version will sell for about $299.)"

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I HIGHLY recommend the new Plextor PX 716 A(internal) or PX 716 UF(external), if you are in the market for a new Dual Layer and Dual Format burner. You can get the internal for about 100.00 to 130.00 and the external for about 200.00 -230.00. Plextor has long been known for their quality, reliability, compatibilty, and loads of features,ie- burning speeds, formats, reading, etc.

Plextor is the best burner on the market IMHO.