1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just wondering...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Cyclonick, May 5, 2004.

1. Cyclonick

Cyclonick Member

Okay, so there's no modchip for the gamecube... we can't burn the games... so I'm asking.. is it just because the gamecube reads the discs 'backward' ?? If so.. would'nt there be a way to create a program that starts burning a 1.5 gig mini cd with the end of a gamecube ISO game?! that way, it would be burned backward while burning onward.. okay this sentence is weird, but I hope someone will understand.. and if something can be done.. do it! :)

2. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think that it is related to the fact that you can fit more onto a VCD than a regular data CD, because checksum space is used to store additional data or something like that. So, when burnt "backwards", the checksum would be the first information written in a segment, which would be calculated from the following information. Or that is the way I've been roundaboutly informed of it. So basically I don't know if it is possible to do it. From Doom9:
    ----
    How many minutes of video can I fit on a VCD / SVCD

For VCD it's simple: CD size in Kilobit (multiply with 1024 to get from MB to KB and with 8 to get from KB to KBit) / 1374 = number of seconds. For SVCD you divide by (video bitrate + audio bitrate) to get the playlenght for a single CD.

A normal data CD saves 2048 bytes of data per sector, the rest is used for the error correction. A video CD has no error correction, so a larger number of sectors will fit on the CD:

Data CD: CD-R with 330.000 sectors * 2048 bytes/sector = 675.840.000 bytes = 644.5 MB Video CD: CD-R with 330.000 sectors * 2352 bytes/sector = 776.160.000 bytes = 740.2 MB
    ----
    So, from what I understand, your burn would have to be 100% perfect with artificially generated filler in the "error correction" space, as this would be written first rather than after the sector is picked up as faulty, or something to that extent, which is just not do-able. Someone correct me if I've got anything fundamentally wrong, I am not entirely sure of all this.

3. OzMick

OzMick Guest

This isn't to say that you can't burn .gcm files to a CD or DVD and stream from there though! This is supported now by the Gamecube Disc Server, but you still can't pick up the disc and jam it directly into your gamecube.

4. Cyclonick

Cyclonick Member

haha I'm not even sure I understand all this lol.. anyway.. it was just an idea.. maybe someone somewhere will be able to do this.. everything is possible:) couple of months back, everyone said that the DNAS in ps2 online games could not be bypassed.. and now look where we are :)

about that backward thing.. I read (I think) here that it was impossible to copy a gamecube game simply because the gamecube reads its cds from the outside to the inside.. is this right?