1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC Everio??

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ptail2, Feb 17, 2007.

1. ptail2

ptail2 Member

First time poster and I know almost nothing about computers. Purchased an Everio and everything downloaded just fine. Camera works great, put the video files right on my computer. Okay, I have them on my computer and want to share them, and place them on DVD's. It states that it records in MPEG2, but when I place the videos onto my computer they are MOD files. I can watch the videos on my computer, but can't place them on a DVD and show them to others. Also I can only put the videos onto a CD-R, when I try to to place them on to a DVD it tells me to put a disc in even though there already is one in there. I phoned Dell and they are apperantly having problems and they will be calling me to fix. I explained everything to the Dell guy and he assured me not to worry.

What is this MOD file stuff? Why isn't it in the MPEG2 format? Did I do something wrong? I have had people tell me to just convert it to an MPEG2 file, yeah right, how do I do that, and will I have to do that every single time, or is there something I can change so I don't have to do that?

Also, is there better help out there for the editing software that comes with the camcorder? Those instruction books aren't the greatest.

Thanks much!

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

They are indeed MPEG-2 files. The only thing that you have to do is change the extanesion from .mod to .mpeg.
    If you want to burn them to a DVD you need toi import them into a DVD authoring program and go from there.

3. ptail2

ptail2 Member

Do you mean just type in MPEG where it says MOD?

And for putting it on to a DVD do you mean I have to put the video onto the editing software provided with the camera and then put it onto the DVD.

Thanks for your help

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Yes
    No, I don't know which software was provided with your camcorder. There are many DVD authoring packages around. Try for example Ulead DVD MovieFactory; they have a 30 days free trial.

5. ptail2

ptail2 Member

Thanks for the help, I found I have software on my computer already, and software that I downloaded with the camcorder. I did in fact move my video to the software, didn't do any editing to it, but did get it on a DVD and was able to play it in my DVD player.

As for changing from a MOD to a MPEG, I still don't get it. Where it says MOD I can not change that. The only thing I can do at this point is change the file name. Is this something I should have done at a different step in the process?

Thanks much

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Probably you have your file extensions for known files hidden.
    In the windows explorer do the following: Tools->Folder Options->View and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". Your files should now be visible including the extension and you can change it.

7. ptail2

ptail2 Member

will give it a shot. Thanks much

8. beachpoet

beachpoet Member

JVC furnishes tailored Cyberling Power Director and Power Producer to make disks for distribution. Power Director will also output your movies in different file types. After you have assembled your movie, it asks you what you want to do with it. If you select make dvd, it automatically calls Power Producer which gives you some real neat menus and will output your movies in a number of formats. You have to select the format when the program opens up. Although these programs are very limited in scope and function, you do get a nice overview of the process and a product you can distribute.
    To make really good dvd's you need to have some concept of "authoring," which actually means assembling all the elements and mechanisms required to make a dvd that is standard.
    You can use a dvd like a floppy, if you want, by just leaving each session open, and adding files to your heart's content.

9. stclares

stclares Member

I also am new to digital video and have purchased an MG21 camera.
    I installed the Cyberlink Power Director/Producer and PowerDVD on my PC.
    This software is as Beachpoet says a cut down version, but with patience it is very easy to master and you can edit and produce a very acceptable DVD.

If you use this software there is no need to change the file extensions.

For those people with Everio cameras this a good forum http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/f135

10. ptail2

ptail2 Member

Thanks All! I've got it, and getting there on the others!