1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC HMDH40000U to PC via Firewire..is it possible?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by KenSolo, Aug 24, 2004.

1. KenSolo

KenSolo Member

Hi,

I'm new and am having some trouble with setting up a JVC HMDH40000U (d-vhs recorder) to my pc.

I would like to have it connected via the firewire from the JVC to the PC. But my PC cannot properly detect it. There does not seem to be any drivers (or info) from JVC to install. So, is it even possible?

Also, does anyone know that if I playbacked say a svhs tape thru this JVC machine, will it output via the firewire?

I hope this is the right forum for these questions :)

Thanks in advance,
    Ken

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I did a Little reasearch on the JVC HM DH40000U and This D-VHS Recorder does NOT have a Firewire Output, It has a Firewire Input....

So you could Probably Put movies you allready have on your PC out through the Firewire and record it on
    D-VHS Tape, But you can not Capture VCH Tapes to your PC useing the Firewire because it is only an Input not a Output...

If you want to record Tapes from your D-VHS to your PC then you would either have to get an Analogue Capture device or if you had a DV Camcorder with Analogue Inputs you could go from the D-VCS out Via S-Video or RCA to the analogue Inputs on the DV Camcorder and then output from the DV Camcorder to your PC Via Firewire.....

Besides this it seems like a pretty cool machine...
    Can you get much HD D-VHS Movies for it???

Cheers

3. KenSolo

KenSolo Member

Hi Minion,

Thanks for the reply:)

Actually the manual states that the unit (when connected to another firewire-enabled VCR) can be used as a playback or as a recorder thru firewire (I'm 99% sure that is what I read).

I guess my main problem is that I cannot get the PC to properly detect the JVC. Seems like drivers would solve this, but I can't find any.

As for the HD DVHS movies...I don't know if there are many. I just remember seeing on the packaging that it had couple movie titles listed.

Thanks,
    Ken

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well it is Just every Site I looked at had the Firewire Port on the D-VHS device labeled as a Input not an Output...
    Pluss for your D-Vhs Player would have to have an Analogue to DV Converter Built in and I believe the HD format Stores Video as a Mpeg2 Transport stream which is a Format that can not be Transfered through a firewire port...

Firewire in an Interface that generally does not require Drivers...Every DV camcorder and Firewire Hard drive or DVD drive I have tried didn"t require any drivers as the Firewire Interface is Plug and Play...Even firewire Capture devices Like the ADVC-100 doesn"t require Drivers....

I suppose if you can"t get it to work you can Pick up a cheap $40 Capture device and capture the Video that way...I have a Simple Analogue Capture card Called the PixelView Xcapture that uses a High quality 10 Bit decoder chip and produces quite Good Quality and I picked it up for $39 US....

Cheers

5. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

Hi to Both of you,

I checked out the manual from JVC's website:

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027070&pathId=50

The manual is here:

http://books.jvcservice.com/download/360182742/30308.pdf

On Page 61 of the manual it clearly states several ways that the i-Link port is IEEE-1394 (Firewire) compliant and *BI-DIRECTIONAL*. It says you can daisy-chain up to 63 devices.

On Page 87 (Specs) it shows i-Link In/Out x 2--but then says (DV In).

Perhaps only the control function is bi-directional?

bob