1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K750i versus the Nokia 6680

Discussion in 'Sony phones' started by Oriphus, May 13, 2005.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Has anyone got a Nokia 6680 yet? I'll be getting one on the 26th of May when it comes out on O2.co.uk I was also looking at the new 2MP K750i camera phone. anyone got an opinion on the above phones.

I know Nokia are launching an N91 sometime at the end of June/begining of July, but i cant be arsed waiting that long considering ive already been waiting for this phone since March...

Cheers
    Chris

2. andyloc

andyloc Member

did U get the 6680 as I have exact same prob at mo deciding between 750 and 6680.

the cam looks great at 2MP altho I have a MS smartphone at mo and will missd a proper smartphone, so whats the 6680 like? I heard the 6681 is coming soon as well

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Compared them both, and apart from Videophone features, the K750i kicks ass. Have a look at this picture taken with it:

[​IMG]

Definitely recommend the K750i. The screens better, the phone is smaller and lighter, the speaker is better, the camera is totally amazing for a phone as you can see above.

4. andyloc

andyloc Member

thanks for that the cam does look cool, I have read many good things about it.

Did you not miss the smartphone features? I have a SPV E200 MS smartphone at mo, love the OS, can play anything, and great features etc. Also has a good document reader, TomTom GPS, pocket Streets etc that swhat I would miss

What has the K750i got? what about the removable drive feature, I've heard you plug in the cable, and XP regonises it with no driver install needed, this would be cool.

Have you tried video? I want to be able to watch full screen video (176X220 I think on K750i) dont understand about the MP4 format though, I have DivX files.

Is there a all-in-one converter to do this? what do you use? how do you do it?

Also does it support voice dialling? what games have you got? where do get them from?

thanks for replies
    LOC

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hey ya, yeah the Camera and Movie Player is class. The quality is as you said.

Basically, you need to get software to convert to MP4 which means it will in effect play DVD movies in Mp4 format. I think there is software there for converting, if not, there are loads of free ones from www.download.com - i really havent had much time to play.

You can plug it in and use it without any drivers to install. However, its handy having the Sony Ericsson software pre-installed.

It supports Voice Dialling as well. It also comes with 3 games, one is a fighter jet game which is sweet and reacts very quickly with good graphics. Its a Java game.

I dont miss any features from the Smart Phone. To be honest, from my phone i want to have the smallest size which packs the biggest punch. Basic phone functions are essential and a top camera.

It also comes boxed with head phones so it can be operated as an MP3 player. Pretty neat.

Finally, i have had it charged overnight last Saturday. Its now 8.30pm my time and it still has 21% battery life left and i do use it for texting and calling a fair bit. Thats 5 days so far. Awesome battery - my 6230 needed charging really every day.

Here's a top review:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-k750-en.shtml

6. andyloc

andyloc Member

couple more questions if I may

Can you put other photos on the Mem stick and display them?

Can you play MP3s out through the speakerphone? ie not use the headphones? this would be handy when I'm at work

Can you play all movies at fullscreen, and can you stop and start a movie, as if its a long movie would need to do this, reason I ask is I heard that when U exit media player then U have to watch from start again.

Would it be possible to for you to try and encode a little clip at 176X220 (K750i max resoluton allowed) and try and play it please?

I have encoded a clip if you can try and play it that would be great, it was done using MPEG4Maker (www.artech365.com). Are you on MSM? can we exchange the file through there? if so and it works and the rem drive options works as I want it, thnk I'm gonna get it, although the N91 does look really cool, will prob cost a lot U think?

I saw a post somewhere about the removable drive option and he said that you had to help the K750i install on XP when you havent got the SE software on, but what you are saying is that you can go to any computer with XP on, plug in the supplied USb cable and the removable drive pops up and you can drag any type of file to the memcard? (if so this is an excellent utility and would be priceless for me at work, if it does it seemless as you say without any drivers, what does the SE software do better if its installed?

Just read that review you posted and in it quotes
    "Unfortunately, the hot USB connection is not ideal and greatly differs from the one in the Motorola E398. Installing drivers is always necessary; otherwise the device won't be identified"

Can you explain this? can U plug it into a PC with no SE software on and see if it appears as a removable disk, there are conflicting reports on this
    thanks
    LOC

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hi, no probs on playing the movie file for you. I'll get back to you tomorrow about the transfer on it.

Yeah, not a problem. You put them in the designated folder on the memory card when connected to the computer. You can them move them about when using the phone. Its pretty much like plugging in a USB external memory unit.

Yep, sounds great as well. Far better than my Nokia 6230's external speaker. Its also designed so that even in your pocket, the speaker cant ever be fully blocked so it doesnt matter what way you put it down on a desk or something, you'll always get clear sound.

No idea as yet mate. You can send me your clip once i get back to you by PM tomorrow on the way to send it. Remind me tomorrow if you dont hear from me.

When you install the software it recognises the drive straight away. However, my other computer doesnt have the software on it, and although it goes through the whole windows has detected new....etc.. if you dont install anything it comes up as a USB storage device. You can still access it.

CHris

8. andyloc

andyloc Member

I sent you a private message.

Could you send me one of the movies already on the 750i to have a look at to get video specs? this may help, and I'll send you some clips to try and play

If I dont catch you on today could you email me the movie clips from your phone to the email I gave in the private message please, would be very grateful

thanks
    LOC

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  9. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

i have a Nokia 6680 and i can say the camera quaility it excellent on it, maybe not as good as 750i but the 6680 has more features and applications.

mu opinion

10. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

@bilal123 your facts are correct. well done on getting this years phone! :)

they are trying to compare a smart phone to a non smart phone, which doesnt work

yes the k750i has a good camera, really good, but so what? i can buy a camera for that! however the 6680 runs the latest symbian os and can run Satallite Nav software and the like, so im sorry but the 6680 wins by a country mile.

the k750i is a phone with a camera, im bored of them. will be dead in 6 months. the 6680 will still be going strong in for a while after that

best smartphone is the 6680, best non smartphone is the k750i

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  11. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

how do u post an image in ur post as i wanted to post a very good picture i took with my Nokia 6680

12. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

could someone please answer me.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  13. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

if you hit reply buddy it will be there at the top

first off you need to upload it on the net, so you can point to the URL

[img ]http://www.theurl.com/picture.jpg[/img ] -- This will show a picture.

remove the spaces in the image tags

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  14. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

yes but will u not need to have ur own website or something to do it as i dont't have a website at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  15. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

no use an image uploading service like this one

http://www.imageshack.us/

then use the DIRECT LINK TO IMAGE, its at the bottom

and put the link inside the img tags

16. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  17. andyloc

andyloc Member

I dont think the 6680 pic is as good as the K750i one posted, anyone else think so?

I am still deciding what to get, I think the 6680 is goona be too big for me, I have a SPV e200 (brick) and am sick of its size, I want a smaller phone this time.

only other thing is the SPV C550 is coming out this week, dunno whether to get this or K750i? mmmm

18. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

yes but that foto was took at 3,4x zoom

19. andyloc

andyloc Member

Anyway guys and gals, I couldnt resist it, the new SPV C550 came out the day that I was gonna get the K750i, so got the C550.

Its a wicked phone, MS software, screen is fantastic and bright, 320X240 res.

Much smaller than my old SPV E200, the cam isnt bad, its a 1.3MP but shots seem a bit blurry,

LOC

20. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member