1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Katana LX to iPhone 3GS - Contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by mdjd, Mar 6, 2014.

1. mdjd

mdjd Member

Hi,

I recently made the jump from an old Katana LX flip phone to an old iPhone 3GS that a family member gave me (iOS v4.3.3). I never used data in the past on my personal phone so I had no need for a smart phone...I have a separate Blackberry for work. Now I'm being put on a stipend plan at work so I will be using one phone, hence the addition of the iPhone.

What is the best way to handle my contacts? I have an Exchange account set up that brings in the contacts from work. What about my personal contacts? Should I manually enter them in the phone? Should/Can I use Google Contacts? Will they sync? Will they conflict with the Exchange contacts? I've been doing research, but I'm still not sure what approach to take.

Also, should I upgrade to the latest iOS? I read that many people had issues with the newer versions. What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

2. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

The highest iOS version you can upgrade to with an iPhond 3GS is iOS v6.1.6. Upgrading is recommended as it will add improved security and stability. I'd recommend having a look at this article which would give you an idea of what running iOS 6 on an iPhone 3GS is:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09/25/ios-6-on-iphone-3gs-final-impressions-and-performance/

Regarding contacts, I understand that your work contacts, you sync via Exchange on both the iPhone and your BlackBerry. What about your personal contacts? Are they to be found anywhere else than on your old Katana LX (i.e. synced with Gmail, etc)?

Also, is there a way to export the contacts from the Katana to your PC as vCard ot CSV files?

3. mdjd

mdjd Member

Thanks for the response. I'll check out that article... I was just concerned because I read quite a few articles about people complaining that battery life was reduced in half after upgrading to the latest iOS. Of course, there were also reviews from people who stated they had no issues...

Since I was carrying two phones (Work and Personal) I only added personal contacts to the Katana. I'm not sure if there is a way to export the contacts from the Katana; I planned to add them manually to Gmail.

I added a few contacts to Gmail for testing and set up Gmail as an Exchange account in the iPhone, based on a couple other threads I read. Unfortunately, the Gmail contacts still aren't syncing with the iPhone. I plan to try the CardDAV account method next.

4. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

Try transferring the Gmail contacts to your iPhone via a PC with this method: Transfer Gmail contacts to iPhone or iCloud account

Most such battery complaints concern iPhone 4S users with iOS 7. But iPhone 3GS running iOS 6 should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014