1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kb/s kB/s whats the difference

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by sovietske, Jan 18, 2005.

1. sovietske

sovietske Guest

Probably a stupid question but when Im in Azureus my average dl speed is like 20KB/s but when I switch view to kb/s it goes up by a lot, my question is: Do most download programs such as kazaa use kb or kB, Im not sure if my dl speed is abnormally slow, or relatively fast. Thanks

2. RussReef

RussReef Guest

"when I switch view to kb/s it goes up by a lot"

In fact, it should go up by a factor of 2^3 [two to the third power], which is also known as 8

Just remember that there are 8 bits in 1 byte, and you can do the conversions between Kb and KB from there. Or, check out this nifty calculator:
    http://t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/

Kb=kilobits
    KB=kilobytes
    Mb=megabits
    MB=megabytes
    Gb=gigabits
    GB=gigabytes

Word of advice... ditch Azureus, and learn how to use IRC! You'll be much happier with d/l speeds.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yes, I've never had any luck with bittorents. Azureus crashed my computer several times...and Shareaza didn't DL anything faster than 10K. IRC is the way to go for fast downloading, and there are WAY more files than p2p/bittorents. You sometimes have to wait in queues, but its worth it. Go to www.packetnews.com or www.ircspy.com for info on how to use it.

4. k3nny247

k3nny247 Member

any suggestions on where to find a good guide on irc ?

i cant find one anywhere

??????

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

both the websites I listed above have several guides on how to download, setup, configure, and use mIRC. I used the ones from www.ircyspy.com when I started using it.