1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep getting coasters

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by k9king, Sep 27, 2007.

1. k9king

k9king Guest

Having a heck of a time backing up movies. DVD Shrink goes through it's normal process, I insert a new DVD, it burns to 99% then ejects the DVD. The DVD's no good and I don't have a copy of the movie. I'm wasting DVD's like crazy. Here's the error I keep getting, any ideas?:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Disc Manufacturer: CMC MA - G. AM3

Many people, myself included, would suggest that this may be contributing to your problems. I would suggest trying better quality media, i.e., TYs or Verbs.

3. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Whenever someone complains about coasters, this is usually the reason. Try better discs and there's a good chance that you won't have any DVD+/-R coasters.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'd also check to make sure the firmware is up to date for the burner and if an older model, make sure the optical head is clean. I use a DVD head cleaner I picked up at Wally World. That's just routine maintenance. You might want to update your version of Nero. 6.6.0.18 is a suggested version I've noticed in the Nero Forum. Bilbo65 and Mr_Pink are spot on when they suggested you use good media. As mentioned, a lot of problems have been cured by that move.

5. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Changing target size is for bad media that is defective around the edges. Before doing that, if sure it's the media, I'd trash it or use it for data storage. Roxio programs and/or drivers have been known to cause problems, but that's usually for connecting to the burner. A lot of problems were due to users leaving batch writing software on. I'm not saying that Roxio may not be part of the problem.

@k9king
    Have you been able to find what the problem is yet? On the Roxio issues, try turning off the Drag to Disk or other batch writing software, if you have it. If no help and you think it's something to do with Roxio, delete the program and then run the Roxizap utility. You can find it with a google. There's one thing that Roxio drivers can do that is similar to your problem. They leave the disc open till the user decides to finalize. With your files going to 99%, that's similar to be what's happening. If it's just a case of not finalizing, which I've run into, the discs can be played on the PC using InterVideo's WinDVD8 player. The player read the files as music files, but played the movie.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  7. avk888

avk888 Guest

**removed by creaky**

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  8. k9king

k9king Guest

This fixed it. After DVDShrink scans the DVD and you click 'backup', you can change the burn speed settings. I changed it to the lowest setting and I was able to backup everything I had.

Thanks for the help M8!!

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

After you use the last of your CMC media, I'd get the brands recommended. Longevity is an issue as well. Good media can be burned without reducing the target size (A bit less compression is a good thing) and won't deteriorate as fast.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Did you try it just reducing the burn speed? Even with a pack of CMC I accidentally purchased, I was able to burn them on my system. If a DVD is damaged around the edges or stamped together damaging the outer part of the dye layer (reducing the recordable area), I could see changing the target size for that. Discs like that may have some longevity problems as well. A lot of programs don't have the option to adjust recording size. In the early days of DVD a disc with a bad outer edge may have been more common. As for myself, after several years, I've not seen 1. I always try to buy quality media though.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007