1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep getting "please insert empty disc" message?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dev1nsan, Dec 21, 2004.

1. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

O.K. so I have a file that's in Video T.S. format already when I put it on nero 6 to burn it onto a dvd disc, either nero or my burner doesn't recognize that theres an empty disc in the drive. I get the message "please insert empty disc". I've tried two different types of disc,Teon dvd+r and Fuji dvd-r.
    BTW I have a Phillips 8631 dvd burner that came with my Dell 8400. Any help would be greaty appreciated.

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

the Teon brand discs are pretty much junk and your Phillips burner should only burn +R discs so it will not recognize a -R format disc
    i would try a better quality +R disc

3. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

that sucks about the Teon disc, it is +r though, and the philips does say -+rw so I think it should work with either one unless it's defective.
    Do you know a brand that will for sure work with the Phillips?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dev, I got the teon +8x in a 20 pack. They check out as ricohjpn01 and are working flawless. My tv recorder really likes them. Not all teons are junk,now the 40 pack may be a different manufacturer.Different quantity packages different manufacturers.What speed are your teons? I ran a google on your phillips 8631 and came up empty, most phillips i saw were + format only.Maybe your burner didn't like that particular teon media. Try some maxell's,tdk,sony,or fuji.

5. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

I have the same Teons as you, 20 pack DVD+R 8X, purchased it for $4.99 at staples the other day. Not many people have the Philips 8631, everybody that has the same computer as me seems to come with Philips 8601. So I guess those two are pretty similiar, I don't mind purchasing more DVDR's but I want to make sure the brand will be compatible with the burner, any suggestions.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

try some maxell +4x. The batch i had were the same code as the teon's,ricohjpn01.Maybe even +tkd,or + sony,preferably at 4x.

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

i guess they have finally changed and started doing dual format burners

i would still stick with +R media because Phillips are +R format supporters anyway and it seems your burner doesn't care much for -R media
    it seems other people are having trouble burning -R format discs also with that burner

8. dev1nsan

dev1nsan Member

not to be rude but I've stated it twice, the cd's were -R.

9. kchev

kchev Regular member

what do you mean?