1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep pitch when editing subtitles in slow motion

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Screech, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Screech

Screech Newbie

I'm trying to edit a subtitle file with Subtitle Workshop. The video play has a what they call an "altered playback rate". This can be used to slow down the playback in order to determine when a subtitle should
    be displayed. If the spoken dialog is rapid, it can difficult to pause the video at the right spot in normal
    play.

The problem I have is that the pitch is also slowed so that if the playback rate is too low, the dialog becomes
    unintelligible.

I did find that when I playback the video with VLC, I can slow motion the video. VLC adjusts the audio so that pitch does not change much. VLC inserts space in the audio output so that while the audio is slowed, the pitch stays much the same.

I wish Subtitle Workshop had this capability. I'm pretty new at using Subtitle Workshop. I didn't see a way to fix this little problem or substitute VLC for their own video viewer.

Does anyone know a fix? Or is there a better editor for subtitles that will permit slowing the video without altering the pitch.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Have you checked:
    Settings > External > Preview > General
    There's a provision to use your choice of viewer - but I don't know if it's relevant to your problem.
    Also, try VideoHelp.
    http://forum.videohelp.com/

3. Screech

Screech Newbie

I did see that option and fiddled with it for a short while trying to get it to work or understand better what it was supposed to do. I'll go back and take another look at it.

I also downloaded another subtitle editor Aegisub ( http://www.aegisub.org/ ) I haven't tried it as yet, but like
    Subtitle Workshop, it is free. The price is right.