1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping DirecTV quality while making the smallest file?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by iceman21, Mar 23, 2003.

1. iceman21

iceman21 Member

I am capturing shows off DirecTV and putting them onto DVDs and I want to know what the best setting would be to keep the quality the same but also get the most out of each disc. I am using Ulead Video Studio 6 and Nero. So far on Ulead I get like 150MB for every minute of video. Im not sure what DirecTV is compressed at but I was hoping to at least get the 120 minutes a Disc out of the DVDs. Any help would be appreciated!

2. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Well lets see, with some simple math: the size of a blank dvd: 4702989182/1024/1024 to get to megabytes you will get 4485.1199932098388671875 megabytes so lets shorten it 4485. now we divide that by 120 and you get about 75 megs per minute, to be honest, you should probaly just keep the higher bitrate, cutting it in half would give you pretty bad quality, however, what you could do(this will still result in lost quality, but less than changing the bitrate) is capture at your current bitrate then use a program like dvd2one to get to exactly the size of a blank dvd, better yet use cce and you will get very good quality(with a $2k price tag however) good luck.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

wassup iceman21..

have you tried to re-encode the video streams using TMPGenc. I did this with the Blue Submarine 6 Anime Series. It was a 4 disc set, each disc was a 30 minute episode.
    Here's what i did:

i captured the video directly with my dazzle capture device, i captured it as an MPEG1 video file and wav audio. Then i ran it through TMPGenc to make the video dvd compliant (mpeg2) and also dropped the bitrate a bit too.
    Then i used Dazzle DVD Complete to re-author the movie with FULL animated menus and trailers and more..

I really recommend Dazzle DVD complete, i liked it way better than Ulead VS6. plus you can burn the movie within DVD Complete.

oh yea, TMPGenc is pretty cheap if you want the full version, the demo works for abuot 30 days (i think). i just bought it since i use to re-encode mpgs and also for authoring.

hope that helps

Peace
    seamonkey420