1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping Widescreen format with backups?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by halo556, Feb 16, 2005.

1. halo556

halo556 Member

Newbie question here. I am using the latest versions of Anydvd, DVDshrink, and DVD Decrypter. It seems that widescreen movies that I back up are not keeping the widescreen format. Most of the backed up movies seem to be stretched to fit the screen when I play them on a home dvd player. Is there something I am missing in these programs that allow me to keep the widescreen format. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Are you sure that you are grabbing the widescreen version of the movie when in DVDShrink?

Or are you grabbing everything off the disc?

Adder.

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

There's definitely something you're confused about here. Those programs only copy the files AS IS from the disk, they will not alter anything.

Now, with the lack of info you provided, I'll just throw out some random things that might or might not be applicable.

Are you dealing with PAL format dvd's on an NTSC TV?

Is there a zoom function with your dvd player that you have accidently switched on?

Are you sure the DVD's are in widescreen format?

That's all I have off the top of my head.

4. sunup

sunup Regular member

If a DVD9 has both wide and full screen how do I choose the one I want to copy?

5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Not to say it couldn't exist, but I've never seen a movie dvd with both that wasn't a "flipper." In that case, you just make sure you have the side facing "up" which is labeled with the format you want (of course the movie will be read from the other, "bottom", side).

Edit: if both are indeed present reading from one side, then look for two "titles" ("Title 1" and "Title 2") in reauthor mode in dvd shrink. You'll have to figure out which is which, and then burn just that title.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  6. halo556

halo556 Member

Sorry for the lack of information on the original post. I am playing the copy on a NTSC format tv and the original disks are widescreen format. The home dvd player does have a zoom function, and it is never on.

Being fairly new to all of this I usually grab everything off the disk. How can you tell which files are the widescreen and which ones are not? Most of these movies were purchased as widescreen format and not 'flipper' types of disks.