1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kill Bill - keep the Japanese sub titles

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mhoover, Feb 14, 2005.

1. mhoover

mhoover Member

Sorry if this has been explained but can you keep the japanese subtitles in the movie when you re-author with shrink. If not shrink maybe another program? Thanks.

2. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

On DVD Shrink in Full Disk or Re-Author mode you can choose which subtitles or Audio tracks to keep. It is all upto you. I normally only keep Dolby 5.1 Audio and English Subtitles.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  3. mhoover

mhoover Member

Need to rephase the question. All I want is the few scenes they are talking in Japanese to be in English subtitles; and not the whole movie with english subtitles. Unless I'm doing something wrong, its either the whole movie in English subtitles, or none of it. Thanks.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

any films i've done (and i do most of them in movie only mode) have always had subtitles automatically included. (Won't mention that somethink in shrink causes 'em to autoplay on most players, but that's ok, 1 flick of the remote turns 'em off).
    Must admit i did suddenly worry about it after i'd done the last samurai, then when i watched it, all subtitles were there. phew.

5. kringles

kringles Regular member

6. mhoover

mhoover Member

Thanks for the replys, and the links Kringles (especially the second one).

Here is what I did (before I read all this thread) and it ended up putting in the part time titles, but might seem like overkill to some.

This worked on Kill Bill volume 1 and Hidalgo

I ripped to HD with decrypter.

Opened VobBlanker and opened ripped file as input; set output folder. I then went and blanked out all files or cells(accept the main movie files of coarse)that the movie did not reuse anywhere, including menu files and Video_TS.VOB file. The only menu file I kept was the cell where the menu to play the movie and select scenes was located, which still worked. Check all files even if they say they are reused by checking on the cell list, because there was several cases where some cells were reused and some were not, within a TitleSet or RGC#; and individually blank out the cells which were not reused. Never blank out anything that is reused as it will cause problems that I found in my limited(1 DVD) testing. You can preview all the files to make sure of what you are blanking out. I then cut the beginning and end of the movie like you do in Shrink in the 'preview and cut' function, and to finish hit the process button. Don't know if I explained it to well but should be able to figure it out since it's not to hard. The help file came in handy.

Then I opened up the file in Shrink, cut out all Subs but English and cut out the audio not being used, and it worked. I've watched my backup of Kill Bill (havn't Hidalgo yet, but seemed to work ok on power DVD)

Hidalgo encoded at 93% compression using VobBlanker without reauthoring in shrink (still cut the audio and subtitles in shrink), instead of the 95% reauthoring in Shrink.

Seems like right clicking on movie title and clicking on subsequent stream and labeling disk would be the time saving and prudent way to go about this. If for some reason this didn't work as someone suggested in Last Samauri, or you wanted the part time subtitles to be automatic like the original, using VobBlanker will work. The key is not to reauthor in Shrink( I think)to get automatic part time subtitles.