1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 problems playing

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kiaghi7, Aug 11, 2004.

1. kiaghi7

kiaghi7 Member

I am having a playing problem with Kill Bill Vol.2...

of course got Kill Bill vol 2 hot off the shelf about 2 seconds after they took it out the shipping box, ran home grinning, and started the usual routine...

the decryption was smooth... the encryption was straight foreward, and the burning went fine as well... it was a backup without a hitch as far as I know, and tested it immediately in the computer, and it ran no questions asked and not a single glitch of any kind...

when I tested it elsewhere however, that is when the real oddness occured... I tried to play it in my X-box PS2 and set-top box, and while it will start up, it will go through the usual warning screens from the usual sources, but right at the "Miramax" logo scene (where the camera rises across a bay/harbor to look at a lit up evening city scene) that little cinematic never loads... it will load smooth as glass in my computer, but I can't get it to work in any other player (set top box, X-box, or PS2)...

I am uncertain as to why it will play fine in my computer and won't give me the time of day past the "blue warning screens"... it's obviously playing, and the burn went correctly since it plays in my computer (on either DVD drive) perfectly fine, but no go with the "set top box" players...

I have used the same DVD-R's for quite a while now and never a single hiccup of any kind, and the same burner as well (go with what works after all)...

does anyone know if there is something specific that needs to be done to Kill Bill vol. 2 in order for the final backup to play anywhere other than the computer that made it?

2. Escobar22

Escobar22 Member

how do u decrypt and rencrypt?

what progs?

3. Escobar22

Escobar22 Member

^^^ do = did :)

4. kiaghi7

kiaghi7 Member

DVD Decrypter to rip it and then DVD Shrink with Nero to burn it...

when I say encrypting I mean encoding, just what DVD Shrink does after you press "backup" and just before it's actually burning the data to the disc...

it's really the oddest thing, the only other thing remotely similar to this for me was with "Patton" and for some reason, the first backup I made would always freeze at the DVD movie menu when put in a set top box, but I just made a second attempt and the problem was totally gone so I promptly destroyed the first...

it's just odd in this case though because it doesn't even get to the menu in a box-top player, yet the disc works like clock work on my computer...

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

try burning at a slower speed. 4x or 2.4x(my preferred speed). Also what brand of media are you using?

6. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

I too own Kill Bill 2 and have backed it up at 8x speed and it plays with no problems, but I use Ridata G04 -R media.
    What brand media are you using? It could be a bad disk in the batch. Try another burn and let us know what happened.

7. Image

Image Member

did you burn with slower speed this time?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  8. kiaghi7

kiaghi7 Member

well I always burn at 1x speed and it's never given me any troubles there, and the media I was using was TDK 1x-2x DVD-R media which I've used many times before and the disk(s) I've made failed attempts with are all from the same spindle that's never given me so much as a hiccup before...

My DVD-RW drive is a Pioneer A-104, and it's been stable as a rock on all my other movies...

I'm hesitant to believe that it's something to do with the media or the drive since it has performed so exceptionally before now, and with other movies, and the media has always given me tip top results from this very spindle on all other movies, it's just this one movie that wants to cause problems, and not that it doesn't burn, it just won't play in a box-top DVD player even though all my other backups play as well if not better than the originals in all of my players...

I'm just confounded, the original DVD is of course in absolutely perfect condition too, so it's not the source...

I dunno what's up, but the problem actually seems to be more on the Box-top players' end of the equation... I know both my PS2 and X-Box can play DVD-R's because I've done it countless times without a single hitch... but on this one backup neither the X-box nor the PS2 wants to play... the PS2 won't even recognise it, and the X-box will play it, and then freeze past the blue warning screens but just before the Miramax cinematic loads up... so it will actually play on the X-box, but not actually load up the DVD menu or the movie...

9. paynster

paynster Member

I have the exact same problem using DVDxCopy. I also had this problem with Open Range. I have one older DVD player that they work on in addition to the DVD players on all of my PCs. But they will not work on my Sony DVD 400 Disc player or on my Sony 5 disc player.

10. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Now thats strange that you've mention the problem with Open Range. I've heard of many having problems with this movie, but I was able to copy Open range with no problems at all. Also, I burned Kill Bill 2 with no problems, using Platinum RF for both of those movies.
    No issues are probably due to the fact that I have a pc thats used strictly for DVD Burning and nothing else. Its a P3 933/512 MB Ram. Win XP NTFS. Not the best but gets the job done.
    [bold]I never burn at speeds less than 4x,never.[/bold]
    1 NEC 2500a firwmare hacked to ver 1.07 2510A DL burner
    1 Liteon 451s firmware hacked to ver HSOC 851s

Try this.., burn a copy of a movie that you've burned successfully in the past. If you are getting the same error, probably is a bad batch of media.

11. paynster

paynster Member

Thats just it, I have over 300 movies that I have burned (backed up) and these are the only to movies that I have this problem, and as I noted it is not consistant from player to player.

12. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Try updating the firmware on your burner.
    Have all current windows updates?
    Have all current motherboard drivers?

13. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

I used dvd shrink and then burned to disc with decryptor with no problems, Some pixelation but no real problems. Can someone tell me why to use decryptor first, then shrink, then nero. Is the quality better. I've just been using those 2 steps I mentioned before. Seems to be fine.

14. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

jlg895, in theory, using DVD Shrink to rip and generate an ISO file, and burning it with DVD Decrypter should yeld the same quality.

15. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

kiaghi7,
    did you ever get ut to work?

16. kiaghi7

kiaghi7 Member

not as of yet... no worries though, it's not like I super duper need the backup or anything, it's just insurance in my mind :)

sooner or later I'll get it to work, and even if not, it's not the end of the world

17. mega3200

mega3200 Member

I have had the same problem. I burned Kill Bill VOL 2 with platinum using 5 differnt burners (TDK, Liteon832, Liteon811, Sony 12UA, and Plextor 708) and 4 different computers. It plays back fine in my JVC DVD player, but skips to the end of the movie in 2 different Sony 725 player. Has anyone burnt it successfully and played it in a Sony Player? If so what did you use?

18. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

mega3200, what media did you use, and at what speed did you burn?

19. mega3200

mega3200 Member

Used Verbatim +R 4X and 8x and Memorex +R 4x. Then used Fujifilm +RW 4X and HP +RW 4X.

20. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

I take it you burned at 4x then.
    You might want to try at 2x.