1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kind of a weird Q? Does any one know how to wire anXbox 360 to a car?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by WyteBoi, Jun 10, 2007.

1. WyteBoi

WyteBoi Guest

im trying to put my xbox 360 in my car. i want to wire the 800W adapter to my car because the other adapters didnt put out enough wattage for the 360. Does anyone have any pointers?

2. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

LOL you must be an eager gamer!But you cant go on live in your car!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

i have a small bit of knowledge in this area but idk how much i can help you.

You are going to need to run a positive and a negative from your battery in your car and your going to need to run a fuse in the positive line and then you will need to connect everything, powering it wont be the problem, its going to be building something to secure it in the car.

4. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

good point mike,if the 360 moves whilst playing a game it will very likely put a big round scratch on the disk.

5. acidsmile

acidsmile Guest

Yeah, my first concer would be it moving!

check xboxscene for the foam disk protection tutorial for disk bumps and skips.

I would then set to work on building a very, very VERY padded and secure mounted enclosure, but then you may xcome across cooling probs.

To be honest unless you have money to burn, i'd avoid it. All the more to you if you do try though :)

6. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

you could go on live in your car, in wireless hotspots, but connection would probably be horrid. you'll have to worry about the bumps and what not, but with the right suspension setup to support the drive you'd be alright, the wiring of positive to negative would be easy, as most converters come w/ the aligator clips to hook it to a battery, you would have to of course strip those off and clamp it to the battery, of course putting an inline fuse on the positive, finding the right size to keep it from spiking and blowing sumthing you need though would be trickery.

out of curiosity, why would u want to put it in your car? do you even have a big enough screen to make it worth while?

7. b18bek9

b18bek9 Regular member

why not jsut get a ac apadter that lets u plug ur stuff in not that expensive if u have a car lighter spot in ur car or if u want to run a box to ur battery u can do that but u'll have to find a good stable spot for ur 360....i use to bring my modded 360 in my civic all da time and play at work all da time lol....

8. andersg

andersg Regular member

You could play it while parked if you happened to be with friends or waiting on someone to do something while your in the car still. That way there is no worries about bumps unless you get rear-ended. If you can get this one I'd wanna see some pictures of it, sounds interesting.

9. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

your best bet is going to be to build a custom enclosure and fiberglass it and make mounts inside that for the xbox to sit, but you can put it under a seat or something if you want, but its going to get hot in there.

10. WyteBoi

WyteBoi Guest

well the only ac adapter that will power a 360 has to be wired to the car. and i have never tried to do that. would it be the same concept?

11. acidsmile

acidsmile Guest

best bet....... buy a standard 12v cigarette lighter socker inverter for around £40/$80 for the power then no need for hardwiring....

for the stability midofy a metal flyte case that djs use to carry their decks or mixer round...?

12. WyteBoi

WyteBoi Guest

i have a 400WAT adapter but the 360 pulls about 475 so i have to get an 800 and it has to be wired to the car.

13. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

you ever wired up a car amp? same concept. run a positive lead from your car battery and then run a negative wire and ground it on the car somewhere. it wont be hard really as long as you dont cross them up and fry whatever you are trying to power.

14. WyteBoi

WyteBoi Guest

ya lol. thanx 4 da help!

15. mjfouline

mjfouline Guest

yea you could get on live.

just get the verizion brosdband card on a laptop and have it share connection to the 360

16. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

The best way to do it would be to hardwire a power inverter and then as far as mounting it there are different possibilities just depends on how creative you are. Cooling would be a big part.

17. steimy

steimy Active member

I agree, your best bet to avoid disc damage and overheating issues would be a cig. lighter power adapter, and a couple of LCD screens for your headrests.

If you build any kind of enclosure around a 360 that already has heat issues you are just asking for hardware failure. Plus the heat of a car in the summer will just kill it. And without a nicely padded enclosure your asking for all your discs to be scratched and ruined.

I have that cig lighter power adapter for my car, something like this one.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...apter&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1168045340673

Then you can also get detachable screens so they are not permanent as well. Like these except mine have built in speakers which are needed:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-7-2-LCD-COL...3QQihZ001QQcategoryZ67771QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You may also need an AC adapter which will also plug into the cig lighter converter to power the screens. Then you can stick it in your car and play your games when needed and not leave it in there to get damaged or even more likely stolen.

18. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

To help prevent damages from bumps and scratches, you could use some type of strong bungie cords to suspend the xbox in mid-air inside the enclosure.

19. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Some type of shock asorbers would be better than suspending it.

20. WyteBoi

WyteBoi Guest

I have a portable screen already. i had a 400WATT cig adapter and the 360 pulled too much power.