1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda funny, major bandwidth abuser here -------------

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by brad1102, Jan 4, 2005.

1. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I got Shaw High Speed Extreme on Demember 1st. Since then I have downloaded 345+ Gigs of movies and games from Newsgroups. If you are sick of crappy download speeds, do what I did - you won't regret it.

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

whats shaw high end upstream how fast is it
    oohh n were are you situated?:)

3. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Newsgroups Rock !!!!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think he is in western canada as shaw & rogers cable exchanged territories to be more concentrated back in early mid 90's

5. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

I live in Western Canada.

The advertised speed is 5 Mbps down /2 Mbps up.

In actuality I get a steady 2.2 Mbps

I can download a full DVD5 movie in a few measly hours. What I usually do is que up 3 or 4 big DL's before I go to work and then again before I go to bed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2005
  6. allin

allin Regular member

I usually download about 60 gig a month from Newshostings servers with my 1/2 Mbit connection.

I'm getting a 2 Mbit connection at the end of the month once my contract runs out with my current ISP. I'm also going to try Giganews with 50 day retension since the NewzBin website covers that amount of days.

7. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

thanxs alot for the replies people:))

8. slickeroo

slickeroo Guest

I've got a high speed internet connection but I've always been downloading through p2p programs & torrent sites!

I would be grateful if anybody could answer the following questions about newsgroups before I decide to sign up for one :-

1) Are they worth the money for the content & speeds that you can download?

2) Are they easy to navigate & is downloading through them easy enough?

3) Which is the best newsgroup to join that has a wide variety of stuff to download?

Any help would be great as I'm looking to get the best from my internet connection, cheers!

9. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

whoooaa.

You don't need a newsgroup subscription - you ISP offers one as part of their service - its standard.

Find out what the name of the server is ei. shaw.news ect. and try it out first.

I get some pretty decent speeds without a server subscription, and urge you to check it out first.

Downloading from Newsgroups is a bit of a learning curve - do a ton of research before paying any money for a subscription.

10. bigjake87

bigjake87 Guest

ok this is gonna sound so noobish, but whats a newsgroup? lol cuz i have a pretty fast connection and if you can download that much from one of them, id like to try it out. is it free, do they have music, and what are the best ones? thanks.

11. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

well the skinny of it is....

A newsgroup is essentially an ISP server dedicated to storing posts from ISP subscribers to ISP subscribers(or its original intention was).

Each server stores newsgroup data (ei alt.binaries.x) for a turnover time of about 3-5 days. Newgroup binary data is usually rar'ed - consisting of many many parts.

Each part of a .rar (segment) resides in a post 'segment' and have like names, to be oranized by a newgroup client and then downloaded (ie Newbin, Newsleecher etc.)

When using a newgroup client, it downloads all of your data segments. You then you an archive utility (Winrar) to extract the contents of the archive and burn to media.

Newgroups are the fastest way to download data. Think of it this way - you are DL'ing all this data directly from your ISP's server, doesn't get much faster than that. Or does it?...

If you are really serious about DL'ing - you will notice that every ISP limits bandwidth from its news server and if this picks your ass enough, (which it does for many) you can subscribe to a dedicated third-party non-ISP server (giganews etc.)

12. allin

allin Regular member

If you are serious about getting involved with newsgroups this guide has all the know how.

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Very interesting read. Once you get involved with Usenet you will never look back.

13. bigjake87

bigjake87 Guest

thanks a lot allin and brad.

14. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

lol, @brad, I read something about a "i-Extreme" service that Shaw offers, they said that its capped, they shut off your service on a "5 by 1" connection if ya download even a small amount, just don't do it too much or ya might get yourself in trouble.

15. slickeroo

slickeroo Guest

Thanks a lot for the info. guys, it's much appreciated!

I got myself set-up through my local ISP & everything seems to be working correctly at the moment! I'm going to start searching & downloading when I get home from work later on! I need to check out what the download limit is though through my ISP as I've got a feeling it won't be that good!

Allin, it was a good job you pointed me to that userguide on slyck.com as I wouldn't of had a clue what I was supposed to be looking at!

Now that I seem to be set up okay can anybody recommend any good newsgroups to look out for, mainly for xbox games & good copies of mainstream movies, cheers!

16. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

17. slickeroo

slickeroo Guest

Alright people, I've set myself up on the newsgroups, I've downloaded a couple of films & now I can't get them to work!

When I try to unrar them I get errors on at least a couple of the rar files so I run them through quickpar which then tells me that either the files do not need repairing or the files have been repaired!

So when I try to extract the file from winrar I still get errors coming up on those same files! If I get a message saying volume is corrupt does that mean the file is now useless or is there anyhting else I can/am supposed to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2005
  18. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Its corrupt, they transfered badly (disconnects often are to blame) if you get them with out a disconnect in the middle (or anywhere) then, the files are bad.