1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kingdom Hearts II DVD meets Black Screen.. help

Discussion in 'PS2 - Games' started by swap0, Jun 10, 2007.

1. swap0

swap0 Member

I was on my 40th or so hour on Kingdom Hearts II when I meet the blach screen situation.

I play my purchased KHII dvd on SCPH39001 PS2 model with mod already install.

Everything was fine until I reach the end of the second story in the Aladdin world. Right after I seen the cinamatics and saw Jafar turned into a red Genie facing Sora stand on the carpet, the screen turns to black and only the back ground music continued. I tried again and skipped the cinamatics, still only the BG music works.

Would someone help me out here??
    I really don't want to waste 40 hours on a great game and not see it to the end.

So far I have read about blackscreen happening to people when they HDD the game and tries to fly the gummi ship which is not my case.

HELP HELP...

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

What DVD media brand have you used to play Kingdom Hearts 2, and you really mean Kingdom Hearts 2 right? Not Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix +, correct? I recommend it's about time you decide to do a simply media brand switch depending on your answer, and perhaps, if you can, the media ID of the disc you used that has KH2 on it.

3. swap0

swap0 Member

I'm sorry.. I don't quite follow. I purchase my KH2 (not mix+, I don't understand Japanese) off the store shelf. Are the original manufacture using different DVD media now?

Where can I find the media ID you mentioned?

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

My bad for misunderstanding your original post. Anyway, first of all, is it a reoccurring issue where it'll happen here and there or repeatedly like right now? If it happens repeatedly, what condition is your KH2 game? Mint, excellent, great, good and etc... The best way to figure out if it's your game disc is to test it on another PS2, whether it is a fat or slim PS2, it doesn't matter. As long as you are able to get past that part is what you should find out. If the problem duplicates over other PS2s you've tried, the scratches must be pretty bad.

Also, you might want to take this into consideration why scratches might be bad. Depending on how deep the scratches are to your game disc and how old your Ps2's laser is, it might not be able to read the game disc because of a combination of having troubles reading the scratched sector and the laser not being strong enough. I have a somewhat deep scratch on my Dragon Quest 8 game where instead of hairline scratches, there was enough whiteness in one particular scratch my friend made for someone to tell it was white. I've tried playing it on my v5/v6 PS2, a fatty which has had the same laser since day 1, unable to play DQ8 no matter how many times I've tried. I've decided to try it DQ8 on my v15 silver slim PS2, and it ran perfectly as though there were no problems at all with the game. Also, strangely enough, you might say my fat v5/v6 PS2's laser was just plain old, but it ran all my other games perfectly that were near mint to excellent condition.

And by the way, forget about me asking what media brand you are using and what media ID it was from earlier. I thought you've burnt Kingdom Hearts 2 at first which is why I wanted to ask what DVD media brand you were using that had KH2 on it.

Secondly, is this a problem that only happens when you're playing KH2 or has this been a problem for other PS2 DVD games you have been trying to play? I think there is a possibility your laser is getting old, worn out, whatever terminology you want to use, instead of a mere freeze occurring rarely where I would suggest trying to use a can of compressed air and cleaning your PS2 if it was freezing; however, since it's an ongoing problem at this particular place in KH2, I mainly think it's the laser if your KH2 game is mint.

If your laser is old, you might want to consider re-alignment of the laser's height by either shortening it or making it higher. Also, you might want to try and increase the potency of your laser if it has troubles playing other PS2 DVD games besides KH2. For more information on adjusting the power on your PS2's laser, search of DVD/CD diodes because I don't have enough experience and knowledge to provide you an adequate answer.

Edit: quotes: "I play my purchased KHII dvd on SCPH39001 PS2 model with mod already install."

So did you recently installed a mod-chip to your PS2 or did you recently get a premodded PS2? If you have problems with a few of your games after you installed a mod-chip or you got it premodded from somewhere, you're better off posting in the PS2 General Discussion section for better help. The problem may be beyond a mere laser issue depending on your answer.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  5. swap0

swap0 Member

Thanks for the tip.. I never thought that my laser could be old. But it still works fine on my other game, backups and originals. But I do get almost unnoticable lag.

My PS2 have the mod for over two years already and I took extra care when I playing original games. So there is almost no scratches, just one or two very light thin surface lines. I'll try to clean the laser head and try again, but I really want a slim ps2 too.

Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it work out.

6. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

It might be your mod-chip has trouble playing certain games, and you might need to change the modes or activate a certain feature/function of your mod-chip depending on what chip it is. I doubt it could be a laser problem in this scenario from what you've described unless you've had your PS2 for about 6 years and recently got it modded a few years ago, 2 to be exact in your case, in which case I would still suggest you check out your laser. If you only had your PS2 for about a total of two years, I recommend you state what mod-chip you have and ask for better help from steimy or someone in the PS2 General Discussion section.

7. swap0

swap0 Member

I found out the the problem is.
    my mod chip can be disable by pressing the reset button twice. After that, the game run fine. Isn't awkward.

8. swap0

swap0 Member