1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kingdom of Paradise Voice Audio Mod (English to Japanese)

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by oroboro, Dec 10, 2007.

1. oroboro

oroboro Member

Alright so I got this game called Kingdom of Paradise and it looks really good and all but the English voice acting is horrible (see Gamespot review).

I'm trying to get the audio from the Japanese version to play in the U.S. version instead but I'm having a problem. The audio files of the game are something like "EVM_01_01.sgb" and seem to be WAVE files (from hex edit) though they won't play in any standard player so I think that they're in some special format. I deleted every audio file but the first and started a new game, and the game pauses when playing the same file, so I think the audio file has some information as to when to pause playing it.

Anyways, I deleted all the audio files on the U.S. version and added only the first audio file from the Japanese version. I started a new game and it worked perfectly fine for the first few seconds (it pauses at the right time and everything). But then the guy who's speaking turns back and that's when the game just stops.

At first I thought that this was because the first audio file had finished, so I added the rest but it still happened. Then I thought that maybe it had to do with the fact that the US and JP version audio files are different sizes, so I increased the size (null bytes at end) of the JP version audio files to match the US audio files but I still got the same problem.

Finally what I then did, just to experiment, was I deleted all the audio files on the US version except for the first. Then I added the second audio file from the Japanese version. The English audio played fine, but what really surprised me was that it continued even after the guy turned his back. Meaning that the first file did not stop when he turned his back. The Japanese audio then did play for the remainder of that part (cut-scene) with no freezing.

I know that the Japanese audio file didn't stop too early because I can understand Japanese a bit and there are subtitles. So what I'd like to know is why does the game just stop in the middle of the first Japanese audio file?

I've tried playing the game with only the first U.S. audio file and the rest Japanese but then the same thing happens later in the game.

Does anyone know any more information on these SGB files? Is it even possible to replace the Japanese audio in the game?

2. oroboro

oroboro Member

Ok, so I took a look at the file some more and I found that it's basically a bunch of WAVE files put together and the program pauses at the end of each one. The only problem with this is that the audio data is compressed in some unknown format that only the program (game) knows and therefore I'd have to reverse engineer it somehow in order to play/edit it. I just hope that it doesn't come to that.

I also found that it seems to only freeze when there's supposed to be some delay before someone says something (e.g. yes....no! where ... is a delay of 2-3 sec.). I've searched to see if anyone else has tried the same thing but I can't find anything. So I'm just posting this for anyone else who may be interested now or later on. If I do get anything more done I'll post it here.

ok sorry about that.

edit: I found that the audio is actually compressed using the standard PSP Atrac3 Plus codec. I thought that the game might use it's own so that it can add some data for when to pause etc., but now I know that it uses several audio files in one for that. I'll try to see if I can somehow play the Japanese part that always causes it to stop.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

oroboro, edit your post when it is the last one in a thread.