1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kiss me I'm Irish.............

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by captflint, Mar 17, 2005.

1. captflint

captflint Guest

Yes today Thousands and Thousands of Irish Folk will be kissed, How? Where? Who? I kant answer those kinds of questions, but I'm Irish, N I want me kisses...

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

"" On the building site where Larry and I worked, starting time each morning was eight thirty. We used to exchange greetings as we passed each other on the way to our respective offices. Now, because of the pride I felt at being able (according to my friends) to reproduce an Irish accent like a true Irishman (and, by implication, authentic Irish linguistic items -- the Brogue ) I was in the habit of greeting him with something like, "The top o' the mornin' to ye, Larry me boyo! And the rist o' the day to ye! And how're ye doin' at all at all?"

Larry usually reacted to this flood of "authentic" Irish dialect with a "good mornin' Jean " in a soft voice accompanied by a slight smile which I interpreted as a sign of approval. How wrong I was!

One morning after we had exchanged greetings Larry indicated that he would like to say something to me. So I stopped, full of joyful anticipation at the thought that he was about to compliment me on my ability to imitate the Irish together with an appropriate use of language.

He looked me straight in the eye and gave me the following advice: "Jean ", he said, "they may use that kind of language and accent on the vaudeville stage, but I can assure you that no one talks like that in Ireland!" Then, with a friendly smile, he turned and walked steadily off to work.

I walked off to my office in reflective mode. I never ever used "stage Irish" again!
    ""

Happy St Patrick Day to you all , mate !!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005