1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knackered my dvd drive now need some advice

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by james232, Nov 27, 2007.

1. james232

james232 Member

I knackered my Hitachi G3120L 0059DJ dvd drive by inserting the power connecter into the back of it the wrong way round. Now the drive won't eject and the 360 will boot up but the power led constantly flashes.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this?

If not i would like to know what is the best dvd drive to get as a raplacement, bearing in mind i plan to install hacked firmware on it and i have the key for my old drive.

Thanks,
    james

2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

i would go with a samsung, they have better ability to read discs, i have both, samsung and hitachi and i find the samsung will play anything i throw at it, as too the hitachi sometimes not so much. i had that problem before to, did you by any chance do the 2 wire trick??

3. james232

james232 Member

Yes i always use the two wire trick. I have never had a problem but i just bought the xcm chameleon case and when i connected the little power adapter chip for the leds i plugged in the power wire the wrong way, as unlike the original wire which i think would only go one way round, this one wouldn't.

Thanks,
    james

4. james232

james232 Member

If i was to go for a samsung, which version should i go for? What is the latest firmware for it for me to install? And how would i go about flashing it using my old key?

Also do i need to do any tricks with the samsung to enable it to show in windows?

Thanks, i know some of these questions can be answered using google, however you have a samsung yourself so it would save me time if you have the answers,
    james

5. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

@James232

I did that too with my drive, bloody annoying, i still dont understand why they dont have better clips to stop it going in the wrong way!

Anyway, about your question, i always say the same thing:

Get a hitachi if you want an easy flash
    Samsung if you want a more solid drive (Generally reads better)
    Or BenQ as although its a harder flash i, and a lot of others, consider the "best" drive.

Lecsiy

6. james232

james232 Member

Well i now always use verbatims as i had some cheap discs and they didn't work with my hitachi. And so i might as well get the same hitachi again then, it will save messing about. As the samsung has no adavantages over the hitachi other than it reads more discs thus perhaps saving a little money per disc But i know the routine for the hitachi drive, and i have never had any problems with it.

Thanks for your help,
    james.

7. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Thats not 100% true.

The samsung reads discs betters (Apaprently) never had one myself so cant confirm this. However enough people on the forums have.
    However due to the build of the Samsungs they are easier to stealth. Therefore, if you were to put it in a bad disk usng ixtreme and it booted. I wouldnt be suprised if MS would be more likely to catch you with a Hitachi over a Samsung.

Lecsiy

8. james232

james232 Member

Well i never use live so that wouldn't matter. Having said that i would like the best drive if possible so that if one day i do choose to use live i have no problems (so long as i keep the dvd firmware upto date).

So Which samsung should i get then?

Thanks,
    James

9. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

I cant say from personall experience as i have an hitachi. But from what ive head the Ms25 is the easiest to flash. Probably best to wait for someone to come along and verify this.

10. james232

james232 Member

Ok thanks for all your help.

James